This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Last week Her Campus UGA and other Her Campus Georgia chapters hosted a week long “No Means No” campaign to raise awarness about sexual assault on campus and educate our peers on what it means to give sexual consent.  

As ashamed as I am to admit it, I was not educated as much as I should have been about the sexual assault epidemic that is occuring across the country. But one thing that I do know about sexual assault and domestic violence is that USA’s Law and Order: Special Victims Unit has been shedding light on this issue since 1999. 

Did you know that 12.7 million people are physically abused, raped, or stalked by their partners in one year. That is approximately the population of New York City & Los Angeles combined. That’s 24 people every minute; and it could be someone YOU KNOW. 

In support of National Sexual Assault Awarness and Preventation Month in April, USA Network will air Law & Order: Special Victims Unit-NO MORE Excuses marathon at the end of this month.  

NO MORE is a new unifying symbol designed to galvanize greater awarness and action to end domestic violence and sexual assault. It is supported by major organizations working to address these issues and gaining support with Americans nationwide. Today, NO MORE is shining a bold new light on this urgent cause.  

I took the pledge to learn about these issues and talk openly about them. Please go out and support survivors, speak up and donate your time to the cause. To learn more about the NO MORE campaign go to www.nomore.org

Year: Junior Major: English Hometown: Winder, GeorgiaFavorite Place: Sitting next to a fire with a good book in my handFavorite Song: Anything Adele Biggest Fear:  Snakes, Spiders, and Porter Johns. I know, weird right?