My Current Favorite Movies on Letterboxd

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

If you’re unfamiliar with Letterboxd, it’s an app that lets you rate and review movies, and you can see what others are watching and reviewing. I’m someone who loves to talk about the things I’m interested in and I love to see what everyone else is thinking before I dive into a book, movie, or show.

Letterboxd lets you display four movies on your profile so users can see what movies you love. Mine have been pretty consistent since I got the app around three years ago, but I do change them from time to time. Here are the movies I have right now:

Bones And All

Going into this movie, I didn’t expect to like it as much as I did. It had my attention from the very beginning, and it kept me tuned in until the end. Taylor Russell and Timothee Chalamet work so well together and I love their characters’ dynamics. I love the original concept of the movie, and how no aspect overpowers another; the romance, thrills, action, and coming-of-age feeling all work separately but together at the same time.

Clueless

I want to start by saying Clueless is my favorite movie ever, and it’s been that way since I saw it for the first time in middle school. I based my entire personality around Cher and Dionne (and I still do), and I can probably quote the movie backward and forward. I love a good rom-com, and this one is no exception. I love the fashion and the dialogue still feels fresh, iconic, and funny even though the movie is from the 90s. I never tire of watching it; it’s such a comfort movie.

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

I’ve loved all things Spider-Man since I was four years old, and that obsession has never wavered. When Into the Spider-Verse was first announced, I was super excited to see that Miles Morales was getting his own movie. I was glad that we were getting to see stories outside of the same old Peter Parker retellings, and that an Afro-Latino character was getting the spotlight so children of color could see themselves represented. The animation style is insane and makes you feel like you’ve been transported into a comic book. The voice work is amazing, and so is the storyline and the repeated mantra about how “anyone can wear the mask” and Spider-Man can be anybody. The second movie is even better, and I know the third movie will live up to its expectations.

Star Wars: Episode iii – Revenge of the Sith

This one just replaced Scream, but even before that, Revenge of the Sith had always been in my top four. I love the Star Wars franchise, and this is my favorite out of all the movies. I love that we see the progression of Anakin and Padme’s relationship and how they’re handling their new roles within the galaxy as a Jedi Knight and Senator respectively. Hayden Christensen and Natalie Portman have amazing chemistry and really make the relationship between their characters so believable it sucks you in immediately. I love how they portrayed Anakin’s struggle with the Dark Side and how his downfall was how loyal and loving he was to Padme and Obi-Wan Kenobi. I’m also obsessed with how immersive the world of Star Wars is and how colorful and distinct each planet and character is. I feel like this is the most emotional and heartfelt out of all the movies in the original timeline (but I’m probably biased).

I wish that Letterboxd would up the number of favorites to five, but only because I’m so indecisive and am always changing my mind. However, like I said before, they don’t ever change unless I’m just really feeling like I want to switch things up. I highly suggest you get Letterboxd, even if you’re not super into films, or feel like you can’t write amazing reviews, or think your ratings won’t match everyone else’s. It’s nice to have just for fun, and because you get a little “Year in Review” at the end of December where the company tells you how many movies you watched, the actor whose films you watched the most, and the director whose films you watched the most, as well.

Happy watching!

Gabby Floyd is a fourth year Special Education major at UGA. She loves social justice, Olive Garden breadsticks, and Spider-Man movies. In her free time, she's usually reading, binge watching Glee, or making niche Spotify playlists.