Marie Walker: Dancing Through History

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Marie Walker is a freshman history major and dance minor from Norcross, Georgia, who is diving head-first into the University of Georgia and all it has to offer first year students. Off campus, Marie teaches dance to children, and participates in historical re-enactments.

What are you involved with on campus?

Delta Phi Epsilon, Phi Alpha Theta, Arch Conservative

What is your dream job?

I would love to run a living history museum, and write books in the historical nonfiction and historical fiction genres.

How did you get involved in doing historical re-enactments?

I guess you could say it all started when I was a little girl, and slightly obsessed with American Girl dolls. I loved reading their stories and getting to know what life was really like back then. It made history come alive for me. History, to me, after that meant stories, true stories, not just facts listed on a page. One day, after touring a historic home with my mom, the tour guide, Mr. Keys, told me about the junior docent program they had. I then became a junior docent at Stately Oaks Plantation. Many of the other docents there were also historical reenactors and I was able to find a group from there. They also quickly found out I was a dancer and put me in contact with groups such as Atlanta Historic Dance, who I now have the pleasure of dancing with.

What’s your favorite part of doing historical reenactments?

I love making history come alive for people. I love getting to tell true stories of people who lived, loved and died. I feel that it creates a greater understanding for observers than if they just read about the event in a book. It combines my loves of history and theatre.

Who is your favorite historical figure?

Queen Victoria.

Where do you work, and how does your job impact your life?

I work at The Spot Dance, Arts, and Events Center. I teach ballet and musical theatre. My work has helped me improve my communicating skills, and also makes it so I get to see my family more. I drive a little ways to get to work, but it’s worth it because I love what I do and after I finish teaching I get to have dinner with my parents. I also get to see my cats!

What’s the most challenging part of freshman year?

Starting ALL over. A new school, new friends, and living away from home can be a bit intimidating. I went to a small private Christian school since kindergarten, so coming to a HUGE school like UGA was definitely a transition.

What’s the most fun part of freshman year?

That’s hard, I’ve done so many fun things since coming to college. I LOVE being a sister of Delta Phi Epsilon, and I LOVE cheering on the dawgs at Sanford Stadium. Yet probably what I love most, is getting to meet so many new and amazing people here.

Maggie is pursing a Public Relations degree with a certificate in Public Affairs Communications at the University of Georgia. Her favorite cities are Washington, D.C. and Orlando, Florida. Her regular Starbucks order is a grande iced vanilla coffee, and you can find her on Instagram and Twitter @maggie_cav.