george pagan iii f PH16nZHKI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
george pagan iii f PH16nZHKI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Male Delivery: Did you see my 27 posts about our date?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Dear Male Delivery,

If a guy and a girl (who have been in a relationship for about a year) don’t post any pictures of each other/ together on Facebook/social media-do they really like each other?

It’s hard to take this question seriously as a guy. For one thing, I don’t understand why this needs to be asked, but it is my job to answer fairly and honestly.

Relationships are a beautiful, yet modernly cursed thing. There was a time long ago when people went on dates and called each other their paramours and didn’t have Facebook. Yes, there was a time when relationship statuses, much less Facebook did not exist. It seems to have been a quaint and outdated time for us and we have to use our big imaginations to understand how boyfriends and girlfriends were publicly recognized their love.

To answer this question seriously you have to say, ”I don’t know.”

I feel that even if they posted thousands of pictures together, it may be no guarantee that they are head over heels for each other. They may be doing this, as a show for the public hiding behind the façade of Notebook-type loves. They try so hard to fulfill the cultural stereotype of a perfect relationship by constantly updating the social media world of their enjoyment each other. That would be kind of sad. It would also be sad to buy into all of their Twitter, Linkedin, Facebook, Vine, Instagram, etc. BS by looking at all of the different breaking news of Joe and Jane’s relationship. Honestly, it’s as if we get them to talk to us all day about them and we willingly take it by liking that photo/video/crap.

On the flip side (where the question lies), they could never do any of this and let the starving public wonder about their lives. Does this negate their relationship? Certainly not.

Maybe they do not like to make what they do all the time open to all of their peers. They may desire privacy and independence within their relationship, something that has been lost in our generation. As vultures in the crowd we eat up and even desire the constant notifications of the boyfriend/girlfriends statuses around us. Even those within the relationships give up the meat of their experiences for some reason. Why not keep our great, little date private? Why not keep that sweet moment between the two of you? Why not refrain from pictures and just enjoy the moment?

Maybe we eat up the social media that is pushed on us everyday. It’s probably because we want to be in their position. We want that special someone to share those pictures. As a result, we feed on the ones around us to get our fix but in the end we stay single. It’s practically unhealthy. It’s ok to be single. It’s not that bad.

It’s fine to post pictures (or not) about your relationships, but let’s cool it a bit. Plus, if someone refrains from social media blitzes, it might mean that they want their special moments to themselves. Give them a break!

Sincerely,

Your RLCG,

Got a question you want me to answer? Sumit them here. Be sure to follow me on twitter for my mini dating tips!

A student journalist at the University of Georgia, Brittini Ray has been writing for HCUGA since fall 2011. This past spring, she became the president of Her Campus UGA. Brittini also interns for zpolitics.com. She hopes to learn more about news and the journalsim industry.   Follow Brittini on Twitter