Male Delivery: Can a guy like a girl and not pursue her?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Dear Male Delivery,

Can a guy like a girl without trying to pursue her? If yes, why won’t he pursue her?

Ah yes, the pursuit. It is important that many girls say that they liked to be “pursued” or “chased” but to what extent? It’s a very vague thing to say to a guy as the meaning of it can be interpreted in many different ways. Upon hearing that from some girls, I did what they literally meant. I chased them through parking lots, waited outside in the rain real Maroon 5 “She Will Be loved” style (I even played the song through some speakers outside her window to get the point across), and followed her to class. However, to my surprise, I’m not only rejected, but I have a restraining order. Obviously, there was a wrong way and a right way to approach this.

All that being said, I say yes; it is possible and probable for a guy to do this. What is true is that this guy probably has spent too much time following the “pursuit” that he has been encouraged to do way too many times from his friends that are girls and that he is sick and tired of hearing no. So, he’s taken a route that is a little more strategic.

If this is the case, I believe he is probably testing the girl. More than likely he has shown interest but now wants to see if that interest is reciprocated. He’s played the field and now the ball is in her court. If it really were true that he likes her, then it would be wise for the girl to approach him more often if she likes him. Also, he could be trying to be mysterious. I mean, let’s be honest, a man of mystery is very attractive to some girls (e.g. Don Draper in Mad Men, Ryan Gosling in Drive, George Clooney in any movie, etc.).

As far as the why is concerned, men are simple creatures when it comes to our actions and words. We don’t need to be overanalyzed because we don’t make many acts that have deeper meanings. For example, when I ask a girl out to dinner, this is what I mean in my mind, “I want to as kher out to dinner.” Most of the time there are not many subtle cues, just plain talk.

For the guys:
To crystallize the “pursuit” idea, I think what you ladies mean is that you want to be asked to dinner, asked to the movies and/or asked to go bowling or whatever. Furthermore, once there is interest in both parties you want to be pursued more in that you want to feel very special to him. I hope I’m right, boys. Good luck.

P.S. The restraining order story did not happen.  Got a question for me? Shoot me an email here

Sincerely,

Your RLCG