burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Make Fashion Week Your Own

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Every year, the best of the fashion world comes together to show off their collections.  And every year, there are a few trends that stand out on the runway and quickly make their way into college campuses like UGA.  Whether you’re getting dressed to go to class, out to dinner, or hanging out with friends, we’ve got what you’ll be updating your wardrobe with, fresh off New York Fashion Week.

Denim

Denim never goes out of style.  As seen by multiple designers this week, it’s all about your take on it.  There’s nothing wrong with those perfectly worn in blue jeans or the cut offs that you hear every girl wearing in the country songs.  But, on those days you’re looking for something different, take it to the next level.  Wear the jean vests. Wear the button down jean shirts. And wear the jean skirts.  Rachel Zoe’s collection’s got you covered-here’s some inspiration with denim.

Jackets

With leggings, sweaters, and pumpkin spice lattes moving in, Marc Jacobs wasn’t the only designer that pulled through with the jackets this year.  In New York, there were the cargo jackets and the blazers, decorated to perfection with buttons, beads, and tassels.  Let your jacket do the work.  And to really make your own statement, improvise.  This is the fall when you and your friends take on a project to embellish your jacket yourselves.  However you deck it out, bigger is better this fall, and your own is always the best.

Military

Military style also made its impression in New York this week.  Collections from Jason Wu and Alexander Wang put their models (including the one and only Gisele Bundchen) in trench coats, capes, and trousers.  The military-inspired outfits scream confidence with the big buttons and the form fitting shoulders.  Want to dress like this Jason Wu model?  Add a loose shirt to your stiff trench coat. Wear the military style and you will be a stylish college student, yet sophisticated, at your next interview to get the job or the internship, and of course, the compliments.

Now that you’ve got some ideas, put your personal spin on it and embrace the denim, work the jackets, and rock the military, until of course, you’ll want to mix it all up again when you hear about the next fashion weeks in London, Milan, and Paris.

A student journalist at the University of Georgia, Brittini Ray has been writing for HCUGA since fall 2011. This past spring, she became the president of Her Campus UGA. Brittini also interns for zpolitics.com. She hopes to learn more about news and the journalsim industry.   Follow Brittini on Twitter