Joel May: Hairy Dawg

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

“Who is Joel May?”

You have probably crossed paths with this celeb on campus without even recognizing it. From the dining rooms of Snelling to the halls of Reformed University Fellowship to between the hedges in uniform, this guy is quite the Big Man On Campus.

May was a standout cheerleader for two years doing the grind. This includes frequent appearances, early morning workouts and constant pictures with the fans. Gameday was busy for this campus celeb as he traveled throughout the campus doing various cheers pumping up the Bulldog Nation for a hopeful win. That’s just his Saturdays. Throughout the week May shuffles between practice, school, Snelling and repeat. Eating was important to him (We can’t blame him) as it was his only time to socialize. And socialize he did.

With great jokes and that good-looking face, why not meet this guy? He is one of the nicest and most communal guys you will meet.

Naturally, this man has become Mr. Hairy Dawg himself donning the suit many times to do some hip-shaking in front of the student section and taking pictures with all this cute, little future Georgia students. He embodies the fan as Hairy. He is the living nature of the spirit of Georgia Football. He runs around the field and makes sure that Sanford Stadium is no less than an earthquake-type decibel level. He loves it and he’s good at it. Just look at those moves on Saturday! The challenge is communication. You don’t speak, but your physically get the crowd going.

While May is not wearing a dog costume throughout the week, he enjoys the simple pleasures in life, playing guitar, working out and experiencing nature. He leads worship at Reformed University Fellowship and plays the guitar on his off time. He loves getting his fitness on at Ramsey and pumping that iron. He enjoys climbing, camping, slack lining and running.

And, ladies, if you would want to know what Joel’s idea of a perfect date is, just take any of the above activities and do it with him and then go to a waterfall (his favorite thing to see).

You might say that this incredible guy is a Renaissance man. We would have to agree with you. There have been many things that this guy has bettered people at with a good heart. Seriously, he’s good at mostly anything. Above all though, he is a man of integrity and a big heart. He’s an amazing friend to many always providing a helping hand and an encouraging word. Guys want to be him and girls want to be with him. Next time you’re teeing up between the hedges, be sure to say hi to this guy!

A student journalist at the University of Georgia, Brittini Ray has been writing for HCUGA since fall 2011. This past spring, she became the president of Her Campus UGA. Brittini also interns for zpolitics.com. She hopes to learn more about news and the journalsim industry.   Follow Brittini on Twitter