This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

I think, as we all know, college sometimes forces you to make some crazy decisions. Especially near the end of the semester when everything picks up speed like the last lap of a MarioKart race, you have to do what you have to do to take care of business. 

For me, that included getting a haircut. I hadn’t gotten an actual haircut in longer than I’d like to admit and, as crazy as it seems, I really didn’t have the time to get it done, much less the funds for it. I donated a bunch of my hair in 7th grade, discovered I hated having short hair, and have been growing it out ever since, getting small trims throughout the years. By then, my ends were dead, my hair was long, and I was honestly scared that a hairdresser would try to chop it all off. 

While scrolling through Pinterest one night in my apartment, I was talking to my roommate about how I needed a haircut but hadn’t found an affordable hairdresser in Athens that I liked, and I didn’t have time to even go between my school and work schedule. “Let me do it,” she said. At first, I was mortified by the idea — there was no way this was happening.

But she was very convincing and promised to do her homework. She watched a bunch of videos for one-length haircuts and even went out and bought haircutting shears (what a committed queen). That Saturday, it was about to go down. I took a shower, took my position sitting backward on my toilet and let her go to work. She first spent a good amount of time sectioning my hair off, so that she could work in sections (because that’s what the video told her to do, and she made it her mission to not do me dirty). She started in the back, making her first cut to use as a guide for the rest of my hair. She spent about 30 to 45 minutes going through sections and leveling them off to the same length. Let me tell you — definitely the most precise haircut I’ve ever gotten.

I really appreciated that she took her time and made sure to utilize the information she had learned from the few videos she watched. Even though she had no experience cutting hair before, she took it upon herself to step out of her comfort zone to do her best pal a solid. When it was all said and done, she cut about two to three inches off, and it looked really good! She even took the time to style it all cute for me. I was super impressed, and you would’ve never guessed than an amateur had done it. I don’t want to say that I found myself a new hairdresser, but I would definitely recommend getting yourself an awesome roommate willing to do crazy stuff for you!

Olivia Harris is a fourth year UGA student majoring in Consumer Journalism, with a focus area in Human Development and Family Science. When she's not writing, Olivia loves spending time binge watching Parks and Rec, playing with her dog named Kirby, and eating peanut butter straight from the jar. She is proud to be the fourth person in her family to attend UGA, and will always consider herself a die hard dawg fan.