How to Get the Most Out of the Involvement Fair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

UGA is home to over 800 different student clubs and organizations. Next week, many of them will participate in the Student Involvement Fair to recruit new members like you. On Wednesday, September 6th from 10am to 3pm.

1. Do your research.

Of course, the Involvement Fair can be a great way to discover organizations you’ve never heard of before, but it can also be a little overwhelming. If you spend a few minutes browsing through the UGA Involvement Network, you can sort the extensive list by different categories to find groups that align with your interests. If you find a few you like, you can hunt them down at the fair to learn more! 

2. Ask good questions.

When you’re walking around the fair, it can be easy to just glance at the booths from afar and keep moving. Push yourself to engage with the people promoting their organizations. They will be thrilled to talk to share their love and passion with you! After they finish making their pitch, make sure to ask them questions. A few to try are what kind of time commitment it is, when they normally meet, and a favorite memory from being involved with the group.

3. Be open-minded.

Be willing to step outside your comfort zone and chat with booths that might not seem right up your alley. You will never know what’s a right fit for you if you don’t investigate! Also, if you’re visiting the fair with a friend, don’t let them completely guide you. Joining the same club as your best friend is great, but not if that’s the only reason you’re joining. Embrace your independence and try something new!

4. Don’t over-commit. 

Talk to as many booths and grab as many flyers as your heart desires, but don’t fall into the trap of joining 10 clubs. If you’re a freshman, it’s important to know that organizations work differently in college. There’s sometimes an application process, the time commitment can be different, and some can end up being more work than you are expecting. To keep yourself from getting overwhelmed, pick just a couple of things to get involved with to start out. If you find you have enough time in your schedule, you can always join more things later! The Involvement Fair happens twice a year, and it’s never too late to find something.

5. Have fun!

The Involvement Fair may feel a little overwhelming, but it’s all worth it in the end. Getting involved on campus could be how you make some of your greatest college friends. We are so lucky to be at a university with such a wide range of opportunities to get involved. And, if for some reason you don’t find what you’re looking for, you can always create your own organization!

If you go to the Involvement Fair next week, stop by and visit Her Campus UGA!

Kendall is pursuing a bachelors in journalism and a masters in emerging media in at the University of Georgia. After joining Her Campus UGA in the fall of 2015, she became one of the team's Campus Correspondents in fall 2016. During this time, HC UGA has flourished, moving from the Bronze level all the way to Pink, and it has been selected for national partnerships including the Her Campus Tour in 2018. Kendall hopes to someday work in the intersection of technology and journalism, and she adores books, travel, volunteering, and the color teal.