How to Do Valentine’s Day on a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Celebrating Valentine’s Day with your beau doesn’t have to break the bank. Check out these ways to stay local and stay within your budget!

1. See a movie

You can never go wrong with the classic movie date. Local theaters offer student discounts, so you can spend the money you saved on popcorn to share with your partner! 

2. Do a project together

Remember when you did pottery as a kid? Who says you can’t do it now?! Athens offers multiple spots to paint and bake a myriad of special knick-knacks. Collaborate on a project with your loved one to commemorate your time together. Get creative!

3. Aerofit

Take the pressure off the expectation to do something grand and overtly romantic; embrace your free spirit, and be a big kid with the one you like goofing around with the most. Aerofit is an awesome place to jump around and have a fun, relaxed experience.

4. Eat

Try a new restaurant! Athens offers countless eateries that can provide you the most bang for your buck.

5. IM Fields

Watch the sun set at the intramural fields. Trails lead to easily accessible benches perched right on the edge of Lake Herrick. Dress warmly!

6. Show some school spirit

Support the Dogs with your significant other! On February 14th the basketball team will be taking on Auburn at home at 2:00PM. The baseball team will be competing against Eastern Illinois at Foley Field at 4:00PM.

7. ARTini’s

Though it’s not the cheapest option, if you’re able to stretch your budget, ARTini’s Art Lounge is a unique location at which you can celebrate V-Day with your sweetheart. For $25 per person you and your better half can use provided canvases, aprons, brushes, and paint to create your very own pieces of original art! Take them home, and think of your boo every time you see them.

8. Stay in 

Don’t want to leave your house? Cuddle up on the couch with your boo, and watch a movie or have a game night! (Thank you Netflix and Redbox!) Whip up some dinner and enjoy an intimate night together. Polish off the night with a sweet dessert—toast to the memories you two have made together and to those to come with a glass of wine or relish those moments with some savory home-baked cookies.

So did we leave anything out? What are your budget-friendly plans for Valentine’s Day this year? Let us know by commenting below!

Brianna is a fourth-year student majoring in magazine journalism at UGA.
A student journalist at the University of Georgia, Brittini Ray has been writing for HCUGA since fall 2011. This past spring, she became the president of Her Campus UGA. Brittini also interns for zpolitics.com. She hopes to learn more about news and the journalsim industry.   Follow Brittini on Twitter