How To Celebrate Women’s History Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

In 1987, a group of determined women successfully lobbied Congress to officially make March Women’s History Month. The group of women was the National Women’s History Project who knew the importance of “writing women back into history.” Women have been making history since the dawn of time, but never got proper recognition for their accomplishments. Here are a few ways to celebrate this historic month:

1. Compliment other gals

Tell your girl friends that they are awesome. Tell that girl on the street that she’s awesome. Spread the girl power and confidence this month!

2. Read a biography of a famous woman

Read about a badass historic woman. There are so many stories out there about women we’ve never heard of that can inspire us. Set down Hamilton and start reading about Eliza and Angelica. 

3. Thank a woman in your life who you look up to 

Call your mom and thank her for supporting and loving you. Or call your aunt. Or your grandma. Or your sister. Everyone has an inspiring woman in their life who they probably don’t thank enough.

4. Watch a female-centric documentary to learn some herstory

Watch a Netflix documentary on a cool woman in history, and then tell everyone about it. 

5. Support female-owned businesses 

Support female-owned businesses!!! Give them your money in silent support of your sister. 

6. Listen, watch and read more female created art

Support female art not only during the month of March, but all year long. We can’t break through the glass ceiling if there is no one to help lift us up.

7. Treat yourself

Take care of yourself and be kind to yourself because your existence is making history. 

Keep a look out on our social media for women’s history themed content throughout the month. If you want to learn more about the women’s history visit the National Women’s History Project and the official Women’s History Month site. 

Thumbnail by Les Anderson on Unsplash.

Caitlyn is a fourth year student at the University of Georgia. She is pursuing a double degree in journalism and women's studies with a new media certificate and an interdisciplinary writing certificate. She is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus UGA. Caitlyn spends her free time drinking tea, being a book worm, and imagining new fictional characters to write about.