How To Celebrate Valentine’s Day in a Long Distance Relationship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Ah, the month of love and awkwardly maneuvering through all of the cute couples on campus is among us! It seems like everywhere you look, there’s something pertaining to Valentine’s Day. Even your email is full of Victoria’s Secret sending you coupons for 75% off lingerie and Forever 21 is basically trying to get you to buy their entire store so you can look good for “bae”.

The coupons are a nice little gift and you wouldn’t mind having a few new outfits, but there’s only one problem: BAE doesn’t even live near you!

For those of us who aren’t as fortunate to have our significant others only a walk or short drive away, Valentine’s Day can be pretty lonely. But as impossible as it may seem to properly celebrate the holiday, there are definitely ways to improvise. We’ve come up with a few activities you can do with your long distance boo that’ll be sure to lift both of your spirits!

1. FaceTime

If you’re more into the traditional approach at spending time with your significant other, then a good ol’ FaceTime call is your best bet. Besides, getting to talk face-to-face (almost) with your sweetheart really makes all the difference.

2. Send Them A Cute Gift

Maybe not one of those huge 7-foot teddy bears from Wal-Mart, but even something as simple as a card (or an e-card!), or their favorite pizza if they’re a foodie like me, is a perfect way to show your appreciation. Maybe not one of those huge 7-foot teddy bears from Wal-Mart, but even something as simple as a card (or an e-card!), or their favorite pizza if they’re a foodie like me, is a perfect way to show your appreciation. Here are some ideas if you need some inspiration. 

3. Virtual Date

If you’re familiar with the episode of Zoey 101 when Chase and Zoey went on a dinner date together on opposite sides of the world, then you’ll know exactly what a virtual date is! Most restaurants should have a good Wi-Fi signal so you and your date’s dinner shouldn’t be interrupted – aside from the strange looks you may receive since you’re talking to a computer screen.

4. Make Your Own Valentine’s Day

If all else fails, rescheduling Valentine’s Day for a time when you are actually able to see your boyfriend/girlfriend can work as well! Plan some fun activities and set a countdown on your phone so when that special day arrives, you’ll be ready for your own belated Valentine’s Day. 

Regardless of how you and your special someone celebrate Valentine’s Day, just keep in mind that the distance is worth it and makes the chances that you do get to see each other all the better!

Kristen Adaway is a sophomore at the University of Georgia with a slight obsession of Twizzlers, writing and watching corny Lifetime flicks. When she's not consumed with meetings in almost every organization on campus, you can find her writing at Slant News or rocking out to Rihanna in her room. Kristen is pursuing a degree in Journalism with a minor in Sociology, and hopes to one day write for a digital publication.