Hollywood Comes to Athens

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Athens is considered a pretty exciting town, but I’ve never seen anything as crazy as when a few celebrities came in town to film a movie. The world (mine included) literally stopped turning. School was put on the backburner and for one night we got to be a part of all the action in the Classic City. Girls and boys alike made it their mission to get whatever glimpse they could of Justin Timberlake, Amy Adams and/or Clint Eastwood filming “The Trouble with the Curve”. Justin was even spotted leaving Wuxtry Records and later tweeted, “Athens! Thanks for the love! Amazing records…@bizarrowuxtry #NothingliketheSouth.” I managed to get a good watch spot from a friend’s downtown loft. She also happened to have some inside knowledge of who-was-who thanks to her encounter with JT’s driver!

In case you were hiding under a rock Monday night and missed the lights, camera, action, here is how it went down. Signs were posted during the day stating that certain streets would be closed for filming that night. The crew set up tons and tons of equipment and began filming around 8 o’clock.  They literally took over the street. There were lights, trucks, trailers, food tables and director’s chairs. They controlled every aspect of the scene- the cars on the road, the inside of the stores, even the bars nearby. At one point a member of the crew rushed across the street frantically looking for something, only to run back across and begin polishing the hood of a car in the scene while someone else used a blow dryer to dry it. The filming took place on Clayton Street. The scene involved Justin and Amy walking down the street (right in front of Pitaya) listening to a man play guitar and then slow dancing in front of him. Though the scene will probably be around 10 seconds in the actual movie, the cast and crew stayed out filming for hours. This was also the second time they filmed this scene. There were security guards and policemen everywhere blocking off the set.  Extras walked up and down the streets over and over until the scene was just right.

Justin was wearing a leather jacket and Amy a cardigan. They danced playfully to the guitar player during one of the breaks. There were people watching from every direction. After filming was over all of the equipment was broken down, applause broke out. Justin’s car pulled up to whisk him away and a mob of about 30 girls rushed down the street, maybe thinking they knew where he was going? Amy, Clint and the rest of the crew disappeared into the night. It was definitely a different experience then a usual night in downtown Athens and it was a lot of fun to be apart of!

Did you catch a peek at Amy Adams or JT? Tell us about it.

Sophia Fredericksen is a junior at University of Georgia studying magazine journalism. She has written for a wide variety of publications including Her Campus Ohio University, College Fashion, Thread Magazine, and JAYE magazine. Now she is the Editor of Her Campus UGA. In her free time she enjoys reading fashion magazines, playing dress up, taking pictures and trying new food. She hopes to one day write for a fashion magazine in either New York or LA.