Hocus Pocus 2: Does it Live Up to the Halloween Classic?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

No.

Sorry, that was a little harsh.

After almost 30 years the sequel to the classic Halloween movie Hocus Pocus has arrived on Disney+ and to be honest, I didn’t even know this sequel was happening until it finally did. My roommates and I decided to give it a watch and see if they could recreate the whimsical and magical movie we all know and love.

And…

Well, it’s not that bad. Definitely made for a new generation who aren’t that aware of the original, which I do enjoy seeing! However, it did feel different. It may be because I am almost 20 and not 12 anymore, but everything in the film looked a little more fake. It didn’t exactly feel like we were in Salem, but more like a green screen or movie set. Which is totally fine! I love fun campy movies that are made more for the vibes than the story! But the camerawork was so crisp it was hard not to notice.

I will say seeing the Sanderson sisters on screen together did feel like Halloween again. The chemistry between the iconic witches has not changed at all. All the fun antics they went through were so entertaining to watch.

“The Witches are back.”

SPOILER ALERT below if you have not seen it!

There was a scene where the sisters crash a Sanderson Sister costume contest in Salem and they find themselves competing against themselves. My roommates and I were so amused because all the other trios dressed as the Sanderson sisters had their own unique spin on the outfits, but the originals still managed to lose. That scene felt straight out of the original with the spooky, light-hearted, campy vibes.

I do wish we got some characters from the first movie, like the cat Thackery, and possibly Max who was the protagonist we followed before, but the new characters weren’t that bad either.

Seeing the sisters all interact with modern devices was really cute as well. Sarah and Mary riding on swifter cleaners instead of broomsticks was hilarious to see.

Ultimately, Hocus Pocus 2 was not a bad movie. It is still a Halloween movie and a fun film for many! But it did feel different as it was made for a new demographic, which is ok! It was still good to check out, but the original will always remain superior.

If you do have Disney+ and feel like checking out something spooky, this movie definitely has elements of that!

Julia is an Entertainment & Media Studies major. She enjoys all types of music (except country), anything with pesto sauce, and sitcoms. In her free time she loves exploring new places with friends, cooking, and watching movies.