Hillary vs. Bernie: The Ultimate Match-Up

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

With the upcoming presidential election, there’s a lot of debate about who people are going to vote for. Though we all find the Republican Party candidates interesting, the real race is between Senator Bernie Sanders, and former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. Shows like Saturday Night Live and The Late Show with Stephen Colbert have put their usual funny twist on the two candidates but, sometimes, people need to take a closer look at the facts.

Senator Bernie Sanders

Bernie Sanders was born in New York, NY in 1941. He and his wife, Jill, have a son named Levi. As far as political experience, Senator Sanders has 34 years under his belt and counting. He’s been a senator, a representative in the House, and a mayor. He’s more liberal in his views than Hillary, and he fixes most of his views on individual rights. As far as the funds he has raised, Sanders has $75 million with no help from a super PAC. He announced his campaign on May 26, 2015.

Hillary Clinton

Hillary was born on October 26, 1947 in Chicago, IL. She’s married to former President Bill Clinton, and they have a daughter named Chelsea. She comes from a Methodist background. Clinton has been running her campaign since April of last year (roughly 45 weeks) and has been an elected official for a total of eight years. She’s a former lawyer, senator, first lady, and Secretary of State. Clinton is worth about $21.5 million and has raised $170 million for her campaign so far. In comparison to Sanders, she is a bit more conservative, and is also very concerned with individual rights. She is also very interested in domestic and economic issues.

What it all comes down to

On a less serious side, Clinton has been parodied as a disappointed mother for her lack of young votes during primaries while Sanders has been picked on for his age. Clinton’s relationship with her husband, Bill has always been a topic of discussion, along with her robotic-like attitude. 

Sanders is seen a senile, and decently uncensored. He went on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert and did not hesitate to make jokes.

Overall, this election is shaping up to be very interesting, and the candidates are fighting a hard battle. The primaries are showing that the race is decently neck and neck. Clinton won the first primary, but Sanders won the second one. In the early March primaries, Clinton is ahead twelve to ten. This is due to the overwhelming support of the African-American vote. Needless to say, as we come closer and closer to the Democratic election, we will see which candidate can stand the test of the American public.

Who do you think will win?

Hi, my name is Rachel! I am a 4th year student at the University of Georgia studying English. My goal is to become a Special Education English teacher. I enjoy music, movies, her two cats, and hiking with her boyfriend in the mountains of North Georgia. Currently I work at a local school in their After School program, interacting and tutoring Middle School children. I have a passion for animals and someday hope to open my own animal rescue. My kitties, Calypso and Harley, are my heart and have really helped me develop a passion for helping animals in need.