This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

With Halloween just around the corner and with the weather getting a bit chillier—although Georgia can be pretty fickle about its humidity—nothing beats grabbing some snacks, curling up with a blanket, and watching some movies to get you in the Halloween/fall spirit. As someone who never got to celebrate Halloween as a kid, and as someone who doesn’t like horror movies but absolutely adores watching movies in general, I’m here to help out anyone who might be like me! Whether you’re a scaredy-cat who can’t handle horror movies or if they’re just not your thing, I’ve pulled together a list of some movies you can watch as Halloween creeps closer and autumn falls upon us.

for that “classic” halloween feeling:

• The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975)
  • Clue (1985)
  • The Addams Family (1991) and Addams Family Values (1993)
  • Hocus Pocus (1993)
  • Halloweentown (1998) and Halloweentown II: Kalabar’s Revenge (2001)
  • Scooby-Doo (2001) and Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed (2004)
  • Twitches (2005) and Twitches Too (2007)

for the animation lovers:

• It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown (1966)
  • The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)
  • Scooby-Doo on Zombie Island (1998)
  • Monsters, Inc. (2001)
  • Monster House (2006)
  • Coraline (2009)
  • *Scared Shrekless (2010)
  • Frankenweenie (2012)
  • Hotel Transylvania (2012)
  • *Toy Story of Terror! (2013)
  • Coco (2017)

for those who can handle *some* thriller/suspense:

• Jennifer’s Body (2009)
  • Warm Bodies (2013)
  • Split (2016)
  • Get Out (2017)
  • Happy Death Day (2017) and Happy Death Day 2U (2019)
  • Parasite (2019)

for those autumn vibes:

For all you avid Halloween and “spooky season” movie watchers, I know I missed a ton of others on this list, but most of the ones on this list I have actually seen. I didn’t want to put many that I hadn’t and then recommend them! Honestly, if anyone’s got some recommendations, I’d be more than happy to talk about them. Until the next article, be careful and stay safe this Halloween!

*[animated short, not an entire movie]

Kayla is a Communication Studies and Entertainment & Media Studies (EMST) double-major, with a Women's Studies minor. She enjoys good music, Marvel movies, and Tik Toks. In the rare moments where she's not writing, watching, or listening to something, you can catch her hiking outdoors, eating good food, and spending time with family and friends.