Guidelines to Cleaning Out Your Closet This Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Spring cleaning is a habit that we should all get into. What better way to kick start a new season than to clean out your closet? 

1. If you haven’t worn it in the last year, get rid of it. 

If you haven’t worn it in the 12 months, odds are you won’t wear it in the next 12 months. It would be more economical to donate the clothes and make room for future buys. 

2. If it doesn’t fit, get rid of it

If it doesn’t fit right, you’ll be less likely to wear it. More importantly, if your clothes don’t fit right it could result in a lower level of self esteem. Ideally, you want clothes that make you look and feel good. 

3. If it’s ripped or damaged, get rid of it

This one is pretty obvious. You don’t want to add to your normal stresses by wondering if your clothes are going to break on you at any given point in the day. Take the loss and get rid of the clothes now! 

4. If it doesn’t portray the image you are going for, get rid of it.

If you are trying to convey a more professional look, tube tops and crop tops just aren’t going to cut it. Consider updating your wardrobe every once in a while to keep up with your ever-changing goals and attitudes.

5. If you don’t like the way it looks on you, get rid of it and invest in something new. 

Clothes that are flattering can go a long way to boost your self confidence. Clothes that look good on you further strengthens the persona you are trying to convey in any situation, professional or personal. 

6. Make sure you donate it!

There are plenty of places within your local community to donate your clothes. Hit up your local Goodwill or Salvation Army and donate your clothes to those who are less fortunate. If you do so, a tax deduction may be in your future. 

Keep all these things in mind as you clean out your closet this season! 

Erin Gilmore is a Georgia native, born and raised in Forsyth County. Since 2015, she has been attending The University of Georgia. She is majoring in Risk Management and Insurance and Advertising. She loves to learn new things and go on adventures with her friends. In her free time, she likes to hang out with her dogs, read and travel.