The Growing Popularity of K-POP in the American Music Industry

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

K-POP isn’t something that just surfaced out of nowhere. It dates back as far as the 1990’s, and multiple groups and artists like BIG BANG, Psy, 2NE1, and Girls’ Generation have definitely left their mark both inside and outside of South Korea. Two groups have been killing it recently: BTS and BLACKPINK.

K-POP has always been an interesting culture. With celebrities termed “idols” to represent their pristine image, fangirls waiting for hours or days in extreme weather just to catch a glimpse of their favorite idols, and hardcore streaming, K-POP is a powerful force that is seemingly a black hole from the outside looking in.

More recently, BTS, a seven-member boy group that made their debut way back in 2013, have undoubtedly become a household name and have gained millions and millions of diehard fans called “ARMY.” With special appearances at the BBMAS, Grammys, SNL, constant recognition from American celebrities, and selling millions of albums, they’re making a huge impact by breaking into the music industry in America. 

BTS already have a collaboration with Nicki Minaj under their belt, but they recently put out a music video featuring Halsey. These accomplishments are huge and show how the American music industry is evolving and transcending language.

Another K-POP group hitting it big is BLACKPINK, a four-member girl group. Being the first K-POP girl group to ever perform at Coachella, BLACKPINK has received recognition from celebrities like Will Smith and Ariana Grande, has done a collaboration with Dua Lipa, and are becoming one of the biggest girl groups in history.

BLACKPINK released an EP titled “KILL THIS LOVE” and scored a #1 on U.S. iTunes, becoming the only girl group since Destiny’s Child to do this.

People are eating up K-POP right now, but what makes K-POP so darn appealing?

The music video quality, creativity, choreography, and dynamic relationship between multiple members makes K-POP a playground.

K-POP is ever-changing and constantly exciting. Each group has a comeback every four to eight months (this fluctuates depending on popularity and company funding) with different concepts, hairstyles, sounds and styles. Surprise teasers are dropped up to two weeks prior to a group’s comeback to showcase their new image. The Korean music industry is so different and refreshing, and that’s why millions upon millions of people across the world love K-POP so much.

This recent “K-POP Wave” is super important. BTS and BLACKPINK breaking into the American music industry shows growth; more people are expanding their knowledge on music and aren’t just looking at it from a Western-centric point of view.

The list of K-POP groups goes on—iKON, Loona, Seventeen, NCT, Twice, and Itzy are just a few. K-POP is unpredictable and frequently has something new, and that’s why it’s spreading like wildfire. Music should always be diverse and exciting, and K-POP is doing just that.

Sydnee Banks is a 2nd year college student at the University of Georgia. With a major in English, her goals are to become an author, self-improvement life coach, and motivational speaker.