Fall Out Boy is Back

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Last year, rumors of a Fall Out Boy(FOB) reunion began to propagate through social media. Though FOB never declared a break up, the band’s approximately three-year hiatus left diehard fans extremely bummed and thirsty for more.

Fall Out Boy formed in 2001 but had minor success until their single Sugar, We’re Going Down soared the charts in 2005. Radio listeners were used to hearing the rock sounds of Nickelback and Three Doors Down in the mainstream but, Fall Out Boy changed the game of mainstream rock with Patrick Stump’s incredible range and their upbeat pop punk sound. They quickly built a dedicated following that united alternative music listeners and mainstream music listeners under one band. When FOB went silent after 2009 the fans got worried a break up could be in the future.

The worry began to fade when members of the group, such as Patrick Stump, started solo projects arguably in the same style of music. It suddenly didn’t make sense for there not to be a reunion! In August of 2012 Beau Bokan, lead vocalist of hardcore rock band Blessthefall, made a tweet officially stating a new Fall Out Boy album was on the way. However, members of FOB were quick to deny any and all claims of new music. Subsequently, Bokan was asked to remove his tweet. Not too long after that an employee of celebrity gossip source The Insider quoted her information of a reunion on Twitter as well. FOB’s Joe Trohman personally contested this stating “the rumors are untrue” and it’s “still not going down.”

With all the hints from gossipers Twitter, Tumblr, and Facebook users were not so quick to believe the failed refutes of a reunion. The demand for another album spread like wildfire by bloggers and preteens everywhere. On February 4th Fall Out Boy officially announced their new album and tour Save Rock and Roll with a few preview concerts that very day. Though some figured it out faster than a Bonnaroo lineup clue, many of us were still pleasantly shocked at the mention of an upcoming tour. February 8th and 9th tickets for the Save Rock and Roll tour were released with some venues already sold out by February 10th. The new single “My Songs Know What You Did in the Dark (Light Em Up)” premieres the group’s fresh sound that some have put in the category of a dance hit.

Their immediate success and huge following in 2013 make it safe to say that Pete, Patrick, Andy and Joe aren’t going away anytime soon. Fall Out Boy may not have had the complete surprise reunion they were hoping for but, we’re just glad their back in the game!

Proud Georgia Bulldawg with excessive goofiness and a flair for the dramatic. Enjoys pictures of pretty things and cats.