person taking photo of pants and shoes
person taking photo of pants and shoes
SHTTEFAN/Unsplash
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

They say that the eyes are the windows to the soul, conveying a level of honesty and purity that we just can’t seem to cover up, despite our best efforts. More importantly, our faces are the site of expression and emotion, the place that people look to first. Hollyn Hodge, a college sophomore at Georgia Gwinnett College, has developed her own photography project called Hollyn-Your-Face, where she paints the faces of her models in specific themes and settings. On Thursday, September 15th, 2016, Miss Hollyn Hodge chose the beautiful campus of UGA as her location, with the spirit of the Bulldawg Nation as her inspiration.

The model of Hollyn’s UGA shoot is none other than one of our own, freshman Mikaela Cohen. Although I couldn’t attend the photo shoot in person, I was able to interview the creator and get some insight into her inspirations for each set of photos.

What was your inspiration for this project?

I really just started my blog because I thought it was a neat and fun thing to do. I was not a professional in any way and I wasn’t quite sure if anyone would be willing to let me paint their faces, but I had a strong feeling to put myself out there and try it. I looked at it as sometimes God pushes you to do something, though it may seem small and silly at the time, but one day you will see the bigger picture. I’m really hoping that this will someday be something I can give back to others.

Where do you see this project going in the future?

It’s too early to say exactly where this will go, but my thoughts are to one day receive donations form each photoshoot and turn it around and do something for ill children. I’m hoping it’s a possibility to visit sick children in the hospital and bring them a little something to cheer them up and paint their faces so that they can feel a little joy while going through difficult times. Because what child doesn’t love having their face painted? 

Do any of the photo shoot names have significant meaning

Some of my shoots have more meaning than others, but most the names go with the theme for each shoot. For example my very first post “My Fourth of July Firework” was in celebration to the freedom that we in this country to express our creativity. Another example is my post called “The Two Sides of Beauty.” It was a combined shoot with another blog called The Be True To You project. Even though makeup is a way to express yourself, it’s important to remember that we are all made perfect in God’s image and we are to love ourselves the way we are. 

Why did you choose to paint the face?

A person’s face shows someones expression, identity and true beauty.

Here are the photos from the shoot!

Like Hollyn, we all have interests and hobbies that we ourselves might think silly and insignificant, but it just goes to show that when you pursue those silly thoughts, you just might stumble across something worth while. If you’d like to see more of Hollyn’s work, head on over to her website. Hopefully she will inspire you to chase your dreams, even if the most influential person doubting you is yourself.

SaveSave