Eyebrows: A UGA guide to getting them done

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

It’s no secret that a good pair of eyebrows can be your greatest weapon. They frame yourface and an arched eyebrow can brighten up your eyes even in the earliest of mornings. But many people wonder if there are any painless ways to treat your eyebrows. The unfortunate answer is no. As they say: beauty is pain. There are a few different ways to get your eyebrows done. There is no “best” way, because everyone is different. What may work best for one person, can be very uncomfortable for another. As a girl with eyebrows that are naturally thicker than a forest, I have experimented with many different forms of eyebrow treatment. Waxing, plucking, threading; you name it, I’ve done it. Here are some different methods that you may want to try out and see what’s the best fit for you.

Waxing: For the Busy Collegiette

This is the most popular method of getting your eyebrows done, simply because it’s the most widely known. Most girls have had experience with this hair removal method and how it uses hot wax and either a paper or cloth strip to remove unwanted hair. Waxing does hurt, but often only when the strip is being removed. The now-hairless skin might remain sensitive and throbbing for a few seconds after the strip is removed, and may remain red up to an hour after. Keep in mind that the wax will have to be applied a few times, so you will experience the pain for a few more times. If you have sensitive skin, you may break out in the waxed area. Of all the eyebrow methods. waxing tends to last the longest, up to two to eight weeks in some cases. Keep in mind that everyone is different, and if you happen to have fast-growing hair, you may have to get waxed more often.
Threading

Threading: For the Sensitive-Skinned Collegiette

is a good alternative to waxing for collegiettes with sensitive skin. It won’t make you break out. This hair removal method comes from the Eastern world. It’s technique uses a thin cotton thread that is twisted and is then pulled across areas of unwanted hair. This method is more precise than waxing, but the pain can sometimes be greater. It takes longer to get your eyebrows threaded, so you have to endure the pain longer. There will be redness for possibly up to an hour after your session. It’s also relatively cheap, averaging at around $10 depending on the location.

Plucking: For the Collegiette on a Budget

This method is mostly DIY. Take some time out of your busy schedule and examine your eyebrows. Look at the natural shape of it and when tweezing, remember to only pluck out the excess hairs to clean it up. This is a good method because you are in control; you know what you want, so do your best to achieve it. Also, if you go a little overboard and pluck too many out, leaving your eyebrows too thin for your liking, you can always fill in the sparse areas with the right shade of an eyebrow pencil, slowly filling in the spaces until you’re satisfied.
Shaving
Shaving is when you take a razor and shave off excess hair around your eyebrows. This method done not last long and hair will start to grow back quickly in a matter of days, because only the outer part of the hair follicles are taken off, unlike other methods that actually take out the entire hair from the root and thus last longer. Also, shaving is less precise and you may shave off too much or cut yourself easily.
Some pro tips:

Tips for Every Collegiette

• Remember that if you want to get them done “professionally” at a salon, keep in mind that not every professional should be allowed near your precious eyebrows. Do not blindly trust them just because they work at a salon. They can make mistakes too.
  • Most of the time, the person doing your eyebrows will tend to use their own method that may not look good on everyone. So you need to be very specific when explaining what you want done. Do not be afraid to speak up because if they mess up, you may have to wait until they grow out again to fix them.

Hi, I'm Sara and I'm short.