Eco Focus Film Festival 2013

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

After the excitement of a week spent on the beach, partying in downtown Athens or simply relaxing with no schoolwork, the outlook on the semester after Spring Break can seem pretty bleak. You have been faithfully eating right and getting in every last workout to perfect that beach body and now you need somewhere new, positive and fresh to put your focus. The EcoFocus Film Festival is the perfect way to find a boost of inspiration to better yourself, broaden your way of thinking and benefit the earth in a way that feels like a night out with friends!

While some film festivals can be targeted towards only people with prior knowledge or vigorous experience in the topic of the films, EcoFocus is not just a festival for people who drive a Prius or members of Greenpeace. It is an experience that everyone can enjoy, whether your definition of “ecofriendly” is riding your bike to work or kind of recycling sometimes when it seems convenient. The point is to get inspired to be better to your earth, and in turn, be better to yourself. This is accomplished through screening films that are engaging as well as entertaining to reach and interest a large, diverse audience. And if a night out in downtown Athens watching movies is not enough for a good time, at this year’s festival University of Georgia students get in for free by presenting their student ID.

The 2013 EcoFocus Film Festival will kick off with a student night on Wednesday, March 20 in the Miller Learning Center, room 101, at 7 p.m. A short clip about a man who eats, sleeps, showers, shaves and even cooks on his bicycle will start the evening off, followed by the screening of a film that chronicles how the world is switching to energy alternatives and a community discussion after the film.

The opening night party will take place at 6 p.m. at Ciné in downtown Athens on Thursday, March 21 and will set the stage for a weekend of engaging discussion boards, appearances by directors and, of course, exciting environmental films. For more information on films and what time they will be screening, check out the festival’s Facebook page at www.facebook.com/ecofocusfilmfest.