Don’t Beat Yourself Up About Being a Bachelor in Paradise Fan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

With the dreadful decline it seems the Bachelor franchise is taking, it can be bad enough admitting that you’re “one of those” who still follow the idiots who sign up to find love on reality TV. But when people find out you also watch Bachelor in Paradise, it might seem as if you’ve hit a new low.

I’m one of you. Regrettably, I watch all the Bachelor hoopla week after week, and no matter how trashy it gets, I’m still hooked. Since we’re in this together, you and me, I figure I can come up with a few justifications (good or bad) as to why I let myself indulge in three to four hours of trash a week that you just might find relatable.

1. So, I’m not the only one who doesn’t have my life together?

At the end of the day, this is just a good reminder. I ask myself this question every time I watch another episode. Not only did these men and women not find love on the regular season of the Bachelor or Bachelorette, they’ve now come on for a second or even third season of a Bachelor show. And I thought I was going through hard time? Ha. No offense to Amanda, but this is her third appearance on a Bachelor show. 

2. We all need to do something mindless during the week.

Pick your poison. We go, go, go between work and school and friends and family and extracurriculars and you know the drill. So find a couple of hours or six or ten (no judgement here) and do something mindless. You don’t want to watch this “garbage?” That’s fine. I don’t want to play video games. Tomato, tomato.  

3. We want to follow these people, and we kind of feel obligated.

This isn’t a good excuse, but it’s a true excuse. We don’t want to admit it … but we’ve already invested our time watching them on TV once before, so love them or hate them, when we find out they’re going to be on TV again, we cannot not watch it through and see what happens.

4. It’s a short season.

It’s really not “that” much of our time wasted. There’s a light at the end of this dark tunnel. The “shocking” finale is tonight at 8 p.m. So, if you’re tired of making up excuses in your head … you’ve decided you’re finally calling it quits … you’re not watching any more … it’s just too bad—well, it’s all over tonight. Grab a glass of wine (or beverage of your choice), indulge in a few more crappy hours of TV and then you can put this chapter of your life behind you … just until next season of the Bachelor rolls around, of course.

My name is Marlee Middlebrooks, and I am a May 2018 graduate of the University of Georgia. I was a dual degree student and earned my Bachelor of Arts in journalism as well as my Bachelor of Arts in communication studies. While in college, I was the Editor in Chief of UGAzine, a feature writer for Her Campus at UGA and a beat reporter for The Red and Black. I believe in the power of storytelling. I believe stories truly allow each of us to find a way to connect with one another. When I’m not telling stories, you can definitely find me in the Chick-fil-A drive thru or catching up on the current reality TV craze—my all time favorite show being Survivor.