A Collegiette’s Take on Wanderlust

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Wanderlust. For the past few months I’ve been hearing that word. Admittedly, it sounded to me like the name of some music festival. Counterpoint, Hangout, Bonnaroo, Wanderlust. It seemed to make sense to me (I later found out that Wanderlust actually is a festival that showcases music and promotes yoga and healthy living in multiple cities around the world each year.) Granted, I could have used context clues or done what any smart individual or even simple six-year-old would have done—break down the word.

Wander… lust…

wan·der verb \ˈwän-dər\

: to move around or go to different places usually without having a particular purpose or direction

lust noun \ˈləst\

: a strong desire for something

(Thank you Merriam Webster)

And that’s just what wanderlust is—a strong desire to travel. It’s funny because after learning the word, I became convinced that I was infected with this longing. Wanderlust is what prompted me to apply for a study abroad program in Costa Rica last summer despite the fact that none of the courses offered through the UGA Costa Rica programs fulfilled requirements for my major. I just knew I wanted to go to Costa Rica. So I took nine hours, knocked out some electives, and had a life-changing experience. (Luckily, taking those hours got me so close to completing a minor in a certain department that my time and work there proved to be even more worthwhile.) Wanderlust took me to Miami in December and Boston the following March. It prompted me to create a board dedicated to travel on Pinterest and to apply for another study abroad program in Prague this summer. (This one would earn me credit for my journalism major thank goodness.) Never mind the fact that I knew nothing about Czech Republic and had never considered visiting or imagined myself there. It was a new place full of possibility, wonder, and what I was sure would be an eye-opening experience—another limitless (ok, I’m sure there had to be some limits considering I was going to study abroad. And yet, I couldn’t help but think of it as some kind of a vacation) opportunity.

Navigating a new place where everything is so completely unfamiliar has been so thrilling. Not to mention, doing so gives me a lively sense of purpose and feeling of independence. Exploring popular sites and stumbling across other hidden gems in places with such rich history and culture is key in my quest to become a global citizen.

This upcoming weekend I’m going to London with other girls in my study abroad program, and I can’t wait. In two weeks, I’m going to Mexico with my mom, and I’m too excited to work on my tan there, brush up on my Spanish, see the majestic beaches, and maybe even get one of those weird fabric braid things in my hair. You know you’ve had one at least once.

Since wanderlust sucks funds pretty dry, it’ll probably be a while before I’m able to venture out again after that, but I look forward to crossing South Africa, Greece, Australia, Spain—the list goes on and on—off of my travel bucket list.

And with that, I want to impart one serious suggestion.

TRAVEL AS MUCH AS YOU CAN WHILE YOU CAN.

Get out there and explore. Fully experience the world before a family, a corporate job, debt, or some other unforeseen circumstance holds you anchor.

The world is waiting for you.

From Prague,

Brianna

Brianna is a fourth-year student majoring in magazine journalism at UGA.
Danielle is a senior at the University of Georgia majoring in English and minoring in Sociology. You can usually find her dividing her time between being Campus Correspondent of Her Campus UGA, binge-watching Grey's Anatomy on Netflix and daydreaming about being one of Beyonce's backup dancers. If you want to know more about Danielle, you can follow her on Instagram (@danielleknecole_) or Twitter (@DanielleKnecole).