Collegiette Proof Cooking: Smart Snacking

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Many of our schedules here at UGA give us awkward, untimely breaks between classes when we go kill some time at the SLC. When pretending to be reading (but are actually on Twitter), hunger strikes and we go grab a $1.60 jumbo bag of Combos and a Coke, draining us of about three bucks and providing us with several hundred unhealthy calories. But if you are one of those people like myself who get hungry in between classes, consider packing some healthy snacks for yourself. Sure packing lunches or snacks seems so fourth grade and also involves a little beforehand prep. But bringing snacks from home is usually healthier and less expensive. Save your money for something more worthwhile than a bag of Sun Chips and  take 10 extra minutes and pack your own snack. Here are some ideas.

Clementines
Winter is the season of citrus. I am a big fan of clementines  because they are easy to peel and don’t make a big mess. You can easily slip them in your bag , they are very reasonably priced and give you that extra boost of Vitamin C.

Homemade Trail Mix
Okay I know we are in college now but consider packing your own trail mix. I like to make some with chocolate chips, Cheerios, nuts and raisins (but you can use any dried fruit you like). This satisfies your sweet-tooth and will give you more  sustenance than a bag of chips.

Apple slices with Goat Cheese & Pistachios
Feeling fancy? Try this amazing snack that gives you the crunchiness of a chip but is much better for you. It’s a perfect blend of savory and sweet.

1. Just cut a granny smith apple into thing slices.
  2. Spread some goat cheese on the end.
  3. Sprinkle with unsalted pistachios.

Homemade Pita Chips
Ditch the store bought Stacy’s pita chips and make your own!

1. Cut 3 pitas into wedges.
  2. Put 4 tablespoons of olive oil, 1 smashed garlic clove, some salt and pepper in a bowl.
  3. Brush or spoon the oil on the pita wedges.
  4. Bake at 375 degrees F for 12-15 minutes.

Voila!

Plain Greek Yogurt with Walnuts & Honey
In the past few years, Greek yogurt has become more popular. It has much more protein and less sugar than most yogurts and still provides calcium and probiotics. Just about every dairy company makes Greek yogurt but my personal favorite brands are Fage and Chobani.

Seasonal Fruit Salad
Fruits in season during winter include: citrus fruits, pears and kiwis. Satisfy your sweet-tooth AND get important nutrients. Eating seasonally guarantees a better tasting product and better prices!

Veggies and Hummus
Put some hummus and a crunchy vegetable like carrots or radishes in some tupperware and you’ve got a healthy, satisfying snack.

Sophia Fredericksen is a junior at University of Georgia studying magazine journalism. She has written for a wide variety of publications including Her Campus Ohio University, College Fashion, Thread Magazine, and JAYE magazine. Now she is the Editor of Her Campus UGA. In her free time she enjoys reading fashion magazines, playing dress up, taking pictures and trying new food. She hopes to one day write for a fashion magazine in either New York or LA.