Chip Chambers: Bulldawg Born and Raised

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Chip Chambers is a first year from Watkinsville, Georgia, majoring in biology and economics with a minor in public health. Growing up near Athens means that Chip has some of the strongest bulldawg pride that I’ve seen on campus. Keep reading to see why he’s our Campus Profile this week!

What are your future career plans? I want to go to medical school, where I will either pursue a career in primary care (as a pediatrician or family practice) or as a hospital administrator (hence the economics and public health).

What’s your favorite place in Athens? I would probably say North Campus. The entire environment is incredibly beautiful and historic (and I’m a sucker for tradition). I have some really fond memories of walking through North Campus from my dad’s office (the AT&T building) on game days where we would park and walk down to Sanford Stadium, conjecturing about the game we were about to see and digesting good food. Four hours later, we would revel in victories and commiserate during the losses on the long trek back up. Those are good memories.

What are you involved in on campus?  I work at Perfectly Polished (an etiquette and leadership school), volunteer at Mercy Health Center, conduct research through CURO, regularly attend Reformed University Fellowship (RUF), am an honors ambassador, and am a senator through the Student Government Association. Right now, SGA and several partnering organizations are planning an event called “Dawg Tag Day” on April 13th, which is designed to bring the entire campus community together. We’re going to pass out hundreds of name tags and encourage students to greet each other by name, regardless of whether or not they already know the people they’re greeting. Be on the lookout for a video and Facebook event.

What’s your favorite thing about being a UGA student?  I think UGA has a unique “Work Hard, Play Hard” atmosphere. While it regularly gets the reputation of being an SEC football party school, you can also find the MLC packed any night of the week. I know that if I want to have fun, there will always be opportunities, but if I need to get work done, there’s people grinding it out there too. In addition, we have one thing I’ve come to appreciate as an SGA senator is what a pro-student administration we have. You can just email head administrators with ideas you have and they’ll listen. They really care what the students have to say.

What’s your favorite UGA life hack? When you scan your hand in the dining halls, you can actually use your left hand palm up (rather than your right hand palm down) so that you don’t get a slew of other people’s germs on your hand right before you eat.

What’s a fun fact about you? Prior to his departure, Mark Richt lived in my neighborhood growing up. When I was around 12 years old, I had a lemonade stand on the street and was selling cups for $0.50. Coach Richt stopped (yes, he drives a red F-150) and gave me a $20 bill for two cups of lemonade and asked how the day was going. Like his coaching or not, I will always think highly of him because of that.

Thanks for sharing with us, Chip! Collegiettes, don’t forget to be on the lookout on April 13th for Dawg Tag Day!
Kendall is pursuing a bachelors in journalism and a masters in emerging media in at the University of Georgia. After joining Her Campus UGA in the fall of 2015, she became one of the team's Campus Correspondents in fall 2016. During this time, HC UGA has flourished, moving from the Bronze level all the way to Pink, and it has been selected for national partnerships including the Her Campus Tour in 2018. Kendall hopes to someday work in the intersection of technology and journalism, and she adores books, travel, volunteering, and the color teal.