Cheer is a Sport: My Thoughts After Watching Netflix’s “Cheer”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Since I was little, I have always been fascinated by cheerleaders. The intricate tumbling and risky stunts always leave me in awe. Naturally, when I heard about Netflix’s new docuseries, Cheer, I immediately added it to my list. It’s worth noting that I am an awful binge-watcher. It takes me months to finish shows with less than five seasons—I’m just not good at committing to a show. That being said, it took me less than a week to finish the first season of Cheer. I found the show so intriguing and raw in the best way possible.

The show focuses on the competitive cheerleading program at Navarro College in Corsicana, Texas. The show follows the team as they prepare for the one and only competition for that specific type of cheerleading—the annual national competition in Daytona Beach, Florida. 

The show delves into not only the extremely taxing physical preparation for competition but also the personal stories and struggles of the coaches and members of the team. We get to see the families these athletes left behind to pursue collegiate cheerleading and the struggles of preparing for an intense competition and adapting to life as a college student. Cheer does a great job showcasing how much pressure is placed on these athletes, and it makes the complex world of competitive cheerleading easy to understand for viewers that aren’t familiar with the sport at all. 

If I took anything away from this series, it’s that these athletes train just as hard as athletes in other sports. We get to see the trials of injuries and the reality of how dangerous this sport can be. Cheer showcases some of the hardest working athletes, and I encourage everyone to watch the series for themselves. It definitely settles the debate of whether or not cheerleading is a sport (spoiler alert: it most definitely is).

Go watch it now!

Kenzie is an education major.