Campus Rep for Vince Camuto: Macy Sirmans

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

If you’re interested in fashion, there is a pretty good chance you’ve heard of Vince Camuto. Here at UGA we have our very own campus representative for the designer, Macy Sirmans. Macy is a third year Mass Media Arts Major and English Minor from Clarksville, Georgia. This fall was the first semester Macy repped Camuto on campus. She applied to be a representative after learning about the opportunity through her sorority. After a couple phone interviews with the Vince Camuto marketing team in New York, and a video about why she would be a good candidate, Macy was selected.

Her main duties as a campus representative are to generate content specific to UGA, promote the brand and host different events.

“The main way I promote the brand is by using social media. I try and make the content relevant and interesting to college girls and students interested in fashion,” Macy says.

When it comes to hosting events, Macy goes through a planning period.

“All of the plans go through a marketing agency up north that’s affiliated with Vince Camuto. They determine a budget and I’m responsible for spending that money wisely.”

Macy pre-promotes events to get maximum results and encourage brand awareness. She has hosted unique events on campus. One event was a Trunk Show that featured a raffle, giveaways, girls modeling the Holiday collection and southern sweets made by Macy. Another event was the Closet Confessional Video Competition, in which students submitted simple videos describing why they needed a new wardrobe. One student was selected from across the nation to receive a grand prize trip to NYC to receive all new Vince Camuto clothing. (The student chosen was actually from UGA!). Macy’s favorite event is called Campus Hunt. It happens once in the fall and once in the spring. For this event, merchandise was hidden throughout campus and clues to the item’s whereabouts are posted on the Vince Camuto at UGA. The lucky facebook fan to find the hidden item goes home with it. Merchandise ranged from sunglasses to perfume and even a Camuto bag.

“It was really exciting to get to hide these designer items on campus and to surprise people who are on campus going to class by allowing them to find a present,” She says.

It’s obvious from the events she has planned alone that Macy works really hard. In fact, Vince himself invited Macy to New York for Marketing Week after being one of the top campus representatives. She enjoys her position because she is interested in fashion, but is not a Fashion Merchandising major.

“It’s really given me the opportunity to expand on a hobby and learn about fashion and marketing through a paid opportunity. It is more like fun that work.”

Macy describes her personal style as eclectic. Her style inspiration? Carrie Bradshaw of course! For more information about upcoming events, ways to score awesome designer stuff for free and of course hang out with Macy, make sure to like the Vince Camuto at UGA facebook page.

Sophia Fredericksen is a junior at University of Georgia studying magazine journalism. She has written for a wide variety of publications including Her Campus Ohio University, College Fashion, Thread Magazine, and JAYE magazine. Now she is the Editor of Her Campus UGA. In her free time she enjoys reading fashion magazines, playing dress up, taking pictures and trying new food. She hopes to one day write for a fashion magazine in either New York or LA.