Be Spontaneous: Why You Should Get a Tattoo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Getting a tattoo is an exciting, anxious, and one-of-a-kind experience. From the moment you walk into the tattoo shop and gaze around at all the art, flash sheets, and jewelry to the moment you walk out with plastic covering your fresh ink and the desire to show everyone the art on your body, it’s definitely a memorable experience. The idea that a tattoo should have a deep meaning, or be well-planned out is a misleading concept. Who said tattoos can’t be spontaneous? Impulsive tattoos are actually quite liberating, especially if you’re the type who has to have everything in order. Many times people wait endlessly to find the perfect something to get permanently inked on their body that they never do. Guess what, chances are if you wait too long you’ll never find it. Just have fun and go for it. As long as you make sure the shop is clean and the artist knows what they’re doing, you’re good to go. The tattoos you get one day with a friend are the ones you’ll love. They’ll remind you of fun times and let you know that life is too short to not be spontatneous. Seriously, not everything in life has to be played by the book or carefully planned out.

The tattoo I have now, I love, and honestly I came up with the idea in about five minutes. It’s not deep, it’s not complicated, but I like how it looks. Guess what? That’s really all that matters! One day I got paid, and with check in hand on the way home I thought, “I should get a tattoo.” Well, one thing led to another and here it is. I’m so happy with how it turned out, and it makes me feel good about myself, which is everything one could hope for in a tattoo.

My other tattoo idea I didn’t even come up with myself. Honestly, it’s not something I would have ever chosen on my own, but I got it as a friend tattoo in a group of three, and my friend picked the concept. Me being me, I went along with it knowing it’s not particularly my style… for lack of better words it’s basically a white girl tattoo, but I love it. It’s well done, placed nicely on my foot, and most importantly, it reminds me of my friend who I only see every few years.

One of my friends has three tattoos, and literally all of them have been spur of the moment, sudden impulses to get inked. Guess what? She couldn’t be happier.

I think the phrase “they’re going to be on your body forever” seems to get drilled into peoples’ heads and creates this myth that tattoos must need some deep meaning, which is not the case. Honestly, you get a tattoo because it looks good so as long as it’s not offensive, doesn’t interfere with job opportunities (maybe opt out of one on your face), or cover massive areas of skin have at it. Do something exciting. Do something spontaneous. Go get that tattoo you’ve been considering. 

Sophomore at UGA majoring in Journalism and minoring in Art History.