This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Is Harry Styles truly a heinous actor? Is Olivia Wilde just an incompetent director? Is Florence Pugh slaying, as she always does? These are all questions I had going in to see the film Don’t Worry Darling. As a fan of almost everyone in this movie, it was probably one of the films that I was most looking forward to watching this year. However, when all the drama and bad reviews started swirling around social media prior to its release, I wondered if I greatly misjudged the movie. This is a breakdown review of the film by its parts. No spoilers!

1. The Writing- 5/10

The writing was probably the weakest part of this film. Although it was an enjoyable film, the pacing of the movie felt very off. The beginning of the movie moved way too quickly and gave no time for the tension to build up and develop before things started falling apart. The middle then became too stagnant before a sudden, quick ending. However, the end was by far the best part of this film. I definitely did not expect what happened and it was executed really well. However, the beginning of the movie definitely left something more to be desired.

2. The Directing- 9/10

Ok, listen- I know we are all in our anti-Olivia arcs right now but hear me out. Sketchy people can still be good directors, and Olivia is one of them. Every shot in this film perfectly captured the energy of all the actors and her directing really made the actors shine. It’s such a different style than Booksmart (which was also incredible), but equally well executed. 

3. The Sound/ Music- 10/10

The sound and music in this movie truly made this film what it is. It is what perfectly balances the image of utopian paradise with the horror elements of the movie. It truly makes the movie an immersive experience and is by far one of the best qualities of the film.

4. Supporting Acting- 7/10

The supporting actors and actresses of this film propel the movie, as each character pushed the story further. The biggest issue with this film was that the cast wasn’t present in this film enough, Gemma Chan and Kiki Layne in particular. I cannot believe that the two of them had about three lines each because both of their characters would’ve added so much more depth and intensity to the film. They were criminally underutilized. On the other hand, Wilde’s Bunny is in every scene, and while she added important elements, other characters could have also been featured.

5. Harry Styles as an Actor- 7/10

Despite what the one clip may lead you to believe, Styles acts well in this film. Seeing as his character is British, he is able to act with his own accent, rather than using twenty thousand different accents. Vocally, Styles portrays Jack’s grief and strife perfectly. However, his facial expressions could definitely use some work. They weren’t bad, but when you act beside Florence Pugh, one of the most dynamic actresses of her generation, they definitely fall flat. Overall, Styles definitely puts up a solid performance for his first film, but there are still some ways to go for him to truly become the formidable actor/singer of our dreams.

6. Florence Pugh- 15/10

It goes without saying that Miss Flo is stunning on any screen, and her take on Alice Chambers is no different. She GLOWS in every single scene and the film truly showcases her talents. We see bits of her Midsommar-horror era, along with Amy March’s romanticism throughout the film, and the two blend seamlessly. The film is truly one of her best performances, and while the film in its entirety may not be awards-worthy, someone should please give Florence all of the awards. Her performance is incredibly stunning and if there is any reason to see this film, it’s her.

Overall, this movie is a 7.5-8 out of 10. It was a really enjoyable watch and it definitely did not deserve all of the random negative press that it received. If you’re looking for a film to watch in theaters, this one is a good pick. The direction and the sound truly make it a theatrical experience. To quote Harry Styles himself, “What I loved about this movie is that it feels like a movie.” It’s actually a great way to describe it. Anyways, go see Don’t Worry Darling!

Medhini is a first year student at UGA, majoring in Cell Biology, on the premed track, and minoring in the Classics. She listens to Taylor Swift 24/7, and loves to read. Follow her bookstagram @storyofusmedsversion!