This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

December is finally here and, for most college students, that means a Winter Break consisting of countless reruns of Mean Girls and trying to figure out how you and your friends ever had fun in high school. But for others, that means graduation is looming. After being here at UGA for four and a half years, I cannot say that I’m fully ready to leave Athens but I have more or less resigned myself to the fact. As a seasoned veteran of Athens, I’ve had experiences both in the classroom and out on the town, so here are some tips that I hope will enhance your college lifestyle as they did mine.

1. You know those students that stand outside classrooms with a clipboard waiting to sign people in? Yes, those sign-ins are for the athletes. So please do not approach these fine people unless you want a guaranteed way of embarrassing yourself. I will admit that I did entertain a few upper classmen watching nearby on the first day of classes my freshman year. Glad to be of service.
  2. Remember to bring your bathing suit downtown. You never know when it will come in handy- like when you want to swim in the North Campus Fountain at 3 a.m.
  3. This concept may be mind-blowing, or at least it was to me and almost all my friends as an underclassmen, but go to class. One time my algebra savvy roommate did the math and informed me that each class you missed was $70 down the drain. Put that into perspective. Also, there’s a reason studies have shown that attendance in class correlates to higher grades. Now whether you pay attention is your choice.
  4. Speaking of paying attention, I’m just going to go ahead and say pay attention in class. Your professors are there for a reason- these people are a source of knowledge and wisdom. Learn from them! Develop relationships with them. You don’t realize how handy these relationships can be until it comes time to apply to jobs and the expression “It’s who you know,” really starts to settle in.
  5. Do not ever wear a wristlet downtown. It will be lost within five minutes.
  6. North Campus has the best grass. Go roll around in it.
  7. Do not wear heels to a UGA football game. No I have never done it, but I have witnessed it and it looks painful. And, on that note, go to at least one football game. You go to an SEC school, have some pride.
  8. Learn how to write a proper e-mail. You’re paying for a college education so please do not use “u” in an email to a professor. I will be embarrassed for you.
  9. The Cheddar Cheese bagels from Jittery Joe’s are an explosion of grease and yumminess in your mouth. Take advantage of them.
  10. That guy that texted you every day for a month and then out of the blue ditched you? Yeah, a year later you’ll look back and be mortified that you even allowed yourself to speak to him. You may be like me and ask your friends, as if it’s their fault, WHY they ever allowed you to talk to him.  In this college atmosphere, it’s my experiences that tell me that girls take these flings more seriously than guys do, which is why they seem to get hurt more if they go awry. Remember that there are so many outlets to meet guys in Athens and, if you want something serious, the basement of Whiskey Bent is probably not the best place to find it. Respect yourself, and once you realize you’re worthy of someone so much better, learn to laugh about the situation (aka you wasted days of your life on a total tool) instead of dwelling on it. Also, if you can’t seem to get him out of your head, grab a few girlfriends and head over to Fuzzy’s. Margaritas are only $5 dollars. Just sayin’.
  11. Quit procrastinating! No, you will not get an A in Legal Studies if you missed class every Friday morning (and we all know why you missed class).
  12. Staying in one night won’t kill you. Major case of FOMO (Fear of missing out)? I promise you’ll make it through. On the opposite end of that spectrum, if the most social interaction you’ve had lately was with the librarian, take a break from your studies and go to dinner at Cali N’Titos with your friends, your stomach and your social life will thank me.   
  13. Drinking Jittery Joe’s Crackaccino past 5 pm is dangerous!
  14. Get out of your comfort zone. Go to the Activities Fair at the beginning of the year and join clubs that interest you, even if none of your friends join with you. I’ve made some of my best friends in differing organizations and it’s always refreshing to have a wide variety of friends and acquaintances.
  15. Pulling all-nighters doesn’t actually work. Sleep deprivation impairs knowledge retention, cognitive performance and awareness. Might as well learn as much as you can, study the important facts and learn how to skim through your textbooks. Get at least a few hours of sleep every night. It’s better to remember a little bit of information than forsake it all by not sleeping. It’s all about that REM cycle.
  16. Don’t buy your books, rent them. This is a great way to save money, especially when you bought a book for $200 and bookstores only give you $40 when they buy it back.
  17. Study abroad. Whether you work, intern or volunteer abroad, this is a must. Going abroad for the summer was one of the best decisions I have ever made and I encourage everyone to have their eyes opened like mine were.
  18. Make sure you know the difference between your downtown friends and your real friends. As the months roll by, you’ll start to notice who falls in which category. Love and appreciate and trust these people who are good to you and return the favor. Some of them may one day be your bridesmaids.
  19. Portions. Eat small portions throughout your day. They will be your best friend to help maintain your figure throughout your collegiette life. You can’t go to Ramsey and run for thirty minutes and then “reward” yourself at ECV with a buffalo chicken wrap, a smoothie, ice-cream and a cookie to-go. I wish this weren’t true but, alas, we are but humans. And women.
  20. Sunday Fundays at Pauley’s are always a good idea at the time, but never the morning after.
  21. Not everything needs to be captured on camera. Instagram wasn’t around when I was a freshman. (I know, I’m like the Crypt Monster.) But I still remember being out with my friends and everyone being concerned about taking pictures all the time, wanting to “capture” the moment. Instead of being so concerned about your social media updates, make sure you actually live in the moment as well.
  22. My last piece of old lady (a sophomore actually called me an old maid when introducing me to her equally as young and hip friend. No, I will not let it go) advice is this: don’t know what you’re doing with your life? Join the club and relax! No one else knows either, whether they are 45 or as young as 21. Enjoy these 4(+) years while you can, pretty soon the most entertaining part of your day will be sending Snapchats from your cubicle in your office. Embrace the whirlwind that is college and be happy in the knowledge that you go to the best university in America. ;)

HCXO,

Carter

My name is Ana Lopez and I am a Publication Management Grady student with a minor in English and a writing certificate. I am an avid reader, love to write, and suffer from a wonderful condition called Wanderlust.
A student journalist at the University of Georgia, Brittini Ray has been writing for HCUGA since fall 2011. This past spring, she became the president of Her Campus UGA. Brittini also interns for zpolitics.com. She hopes to learn more about news and the journalsim industry.   Follow Brittini on Twitter