This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Thanksgiving is only week or so away, and it’s around this time when families come together in ways they never get to during the rest of the year. It’s a time to be grateful for the ones we have, so here are nine lyrics to help get you into that thankful spirit.

1. “I always let you down. You’re shattered on the ground, but still I find you there, next to me.” – “Next To Me” by Imagine Dragons

Everyone has that one person that has been with them through thick and thin, even when you weren’t necessarily the greatest person to be around. This song depicts that perfectly, the relationship between you and the one person that’s always next to you, no matter what. Whether it’s a friend, family member or spouse, make sure to give them an extra hug this Thanksgiving season.

2. “I won’t cry, I won’t cry. No, I won’t shed a tear just as long as you stand, stand by me.” – “Stand By Me” by Ben E. King

Have you ever found yourself so worried over something, but despite your panic, you still have a a little bit of faith? Thank that person that always stands beside you. It’s so much easier to make it through the difficult times when you have a loved one standing by you through it all.

3. “No, you won’t go it alone. No matter where you choose to roam.” – “You Won’t Go It Alone” by Andrew Galucki

You’re in college, and whether you’re a freshman or a senior, college probably means you’ve moved away from your parents and, possibly, your friends. That doesn’t mean they aren’t still supporting you despite the separation. Just because you’re away from home doesn’t mean you’re going through your struggles alone. This Thanksgiving, take a moment to be thankful for all those that never stopped supporting you from the sidelines.

4. “I wouldn’t be who I am without you. I wouldn’t sing the way I sing without you.” – “I Wouldn’t Be” by Kodaline

This song is all about how the people around us shape who we are. Maybe you have your mother’s kindness or your father’s compassion or your best friend’s thoughtfulness. All of the beautiful pieces that make you you are formed by those that surround and love you. During this holiday, make sure to thank those around you for giving you the very best of them, and remember that you’ve done the same for them in return.

5. “Brother, we go deeper than the ink beneath the skin of our tattoos. Though we don’t share the same blood, you’re my brother, and I love you. That’s the truth.” – “Brother” by Kodaline

Family doesn’t end in blood. Our friends are the family that we have chosen, and sometimes, that bond goes deeper than any blood relation could. Our friends are the ones who know our greatest joys and our deepest pains. They’re the ones that understand us in ways that even our own families cannot because, when it comes down to it, they’ve struggled and are struggling the same way we are. Let this holiday season also be Friendsgiving, and make sure to hold your friends tight because chances are, they need you, too.

6. “People come, and people go. I love you, and that’s all I know.” – “All I Know” by Beth Crowley

For all the couples celebrating Thanksgiving together, this one’s for you. Every year, the banquet table may change, the people that sit across from you may not be the same, but that person that sits next to you? That person is forever. And while there may be a lot in this world that we don’t know or don’t understand, love is a constant, and sometimes, that’s all you need to know.

7. “You love me for who I am like the stars hold the moon right there where they belong, and I know I’m not alone.” – “When I Look At You” by Miley Cyrus

It’s easy to get caught up in the do’s and don’t’s of this world. You should be this. You can’t be that. Don’t ever do this, but make sure you always do this. This Thanksgiving, make sure to embrace those people in your life that allow you to be who you truly are. The ones that don’t force you to conform to society’s standards are the ones that will truly love and support you through anything. Make sure they know how much you appreciate them this holiday season.

8. “Don’t run away. Our time will come, but not today. I stand beside you, brother, with you ‘til the end.” – “Brother” by Lord Huron

Another song about a brother, but this one can refer to either a blood brother or a friend. This song serves to show that, come fire or flood, those who stand with us through the worst times in our lives are the ones we need the most. If you’ve had the privilege of keeping a childhood or lifelong best friend, whether sibling or not, make sure to be extra grateful for them this season. Because they’re the ones that’ll be “with you ‘til the end of the line.”

9. “A man learns who is there for him when the glitter fades and the walls won’t hold.” – “From Now On” from The Greatest Showman

It’s hard to pick just a single lyric from this song because every bit of it has that “homecoming” spirit. We’ve all been there, on top of the world where nothing seems to be able to go wrong. You may have been surrounded by those who constantly praise you for your deeds every day, or perhaps you have had the chance to step into the spotlight. But when you hit rock bottom, the ones that still stay by your side are the ones worth holding onto. 

Thanksgiving is the season to be grateful: for your holiday meal, for what you have, for that A on your midterm, but most importantly, for the people you have around you. You can’t put a price tag on love. So make sure you give thanks to the ones in your life, and throw in a hug or two while you’re at it. Because you never know when you might be able to again.

Here is a Spotify playlist of all the songs mentioned in the article.

Presley is a senior at the University of Georgia and one of the Campus Correspondents for her Her Campus chapter. She is pursuing a double major in criminal justice and psychology, as well as a minor in Italian, and she hopes to attend law school after graduation. She plans to someday become a criminal prosecutor. When she's not binge-watching Law and Order, she's studying languages, literature, or music.