7 Reasons Why You Should Live With Your Best Friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

It’s that time of year again when words like “random roommate” and “lease” make you want to cry inside as the stress of making living arrangements for the next school year are in full swing. One of the most common things you hear is everyone telling you it’s a bad idea to room with your best friend. However, living with your best friend can actually improve your college experience and here’s why.

1. They are a little piece of home away from home.

Being so far away from your parents, siblings, and familiar surroundings can be really hard. But coming home to that roomie’s familiar face can help decrease the homesick feeling inside just a little bit.

2. You instantly have a person to go everywhere with.

No fear of eating at the dining hall alone with your bff as your roommate. Whether it’s screaming next to you at a football game or sitting beside you studying, it’s nice to have your person that automatically keeps you company.

3. No worries about putting up appearances.

When you room with your best friend, you are able to be 100% yourself. Your room becomes kind of a safe space where you can say, do, and act honestly without worrying about your roommate judging you.

4. Froomie

According to Urban Dictionary a froomie is both a friend and a roommate. The term “froomie” will quickly be exchanged back and forth between you and your bff roommate. What starts as a joke will become a very real term of endearment among you and that person that sleeps 12 inches away from you every night.

5. Netflix binge

We live in an age of Netflix and everyone knows shows are better to watch with someone and late at night. Having your best friend right there gives you both as you have someone to binge watch with at all times of the day (or night).

6. Your friends are their friends.

One major downside you hear about random roommates will be the awkwardness when people come to visit. However, this problem is eliminated when you live with your best friend because their friends are your friends whether they have met them or just heard so much about them. Rather than it be weird, it’s like one big sleepover!

7. It strengthens your friendship.

The most important reason to room with your best friend is that it strengthens your friendship. You learn a lot about each other’s interests, likes/dislikes, and how to be there for one another. Rooming together shows you not only how to be a good roommate, but a good friend.

Abby is a freshman at the University of Georgia as an intended-journalism major. She can easily be spotted by her sporatic red curls and is likely napping, reading, or laughing the day away.