This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Summer is coming soon, collegiettes! And with all the time off from homework and studying, we at Her Campus UGA wanted to give you a list of un-required reading to keep you busy. Here are some light, sunny page turners best enjoyed in the shade with a glass of lemonade. 

Since You’ve Been Gone by Morgan Matson

While definitely a YA summer novel at heart, this cute romance also has a bit of substance. It’s full of friendship, honesty, and finding yourself. There’s love, but it’s not centrally a love story. It’s a story about embracing the unknown and discovering who you are on your own, outside of your defining relationships. Plus, it’s based on a list, and I love lists!

The Probability of Miracles by Wendy Wunder

If you’re a big fan of John Green’s The Fault in Our Stars, this is the summer novel for you.  The protagonist has cancer, but this isn’t necessarily “a cancer book.” She sets off to accomplish a series of whimsical tasks called “The Flamingo List.” This book is full of appreciation for life’s little wonders.

The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han

This book has everything you need in a light, beachy read. Centered around three childhood friends, this book tells the story of what happens when kids grow up and attractions start to form. The love triangle will leave your heart torn between the two boys! 

Lady Midnight by Cassandra Clare

If your YA style is more fantasy/supernatural than contemporary romance, this could be a good pick for you. Cassandra Clare is famous for City of Bones and the rest of her Mortal Instruments series, and Lady Midnight is the first book in a new trilogy that also takes place in the world of the Shadowhunters.

Bad Feminist by Roxanne Gay

Looking to spend your summer days exploring social issues? Roxanne Gay comments on society’s current culture and the state of feminism in this collection of essays. 

Furiously Happy by Jenny Lawson

A favorite of one of our HC UGA writers, this hilarious book aims to combine comedy with a look at mental illness. This quote from the summary tells you everything you need to know: “ A hysterical, ridiculous book about crippling depression and anxiety? That sounds like a terrible idea. And terrible ideas are what Jenny does best.” 

The Defining Decade by Meg Jay, PhD

Would you rather read something helpful that you can apply to your life instead of a cheesy summer romance? Learn how you can make the most of being a twentysomething in this book by clinical psychologist Dr. Meg Jay! The New Yorker says the book takes “the specific complaints of twenty-something life and puts them to diagnostic use.”

Kendall is pursuing a bachelors in journalism and a masters in emerging media in at the University of Georgia. After joining Her Campus UGA in the fall of 2015, she became one of the team's Campus Correspondents in fall 2016. During this time, HC UGA has flourished, moving from the Bronze level all the way to Pink, and it has been selected for national partnerships including the Her Campus Tour in 2018. Kendall hopes to someday work in the intersection of technology and journalism, and she adores books, travel, volunteering, and the color teal.