This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Summer is different for every college student. Jobs, internships, family time and catching up with old friends keep our calendars full of fun and responsibilities. In those times in between, many of us use this free time to indulge in television shows and movies that we might otherwise not have time to watch. As someone who wants to be a part of the entertainment industry someday, it is important to understand what audiences are enjoying right now. At least, that is the excuse I tell myself as I watch the next episode of that Hulu Original or stay up all hours of the night to finish season three of Stranger Things. The countless streaming services, which are continuing to increase, allow viewers to consume media differently than ever before. Based on my summer shows, I’d like to provide some recommendations. We’ve been back in school for a while now, but when has homework ever kept us from binge-watching?

The Act

The words “based on a true story” always give the show an eerie feeling, yet draw us in even more. This real-life crime drama is based on Gypsy Rose Blanchard, the victim of her mother’s Munchhausen By Proxy. The mental illness causes people to fake the illness of a child and often times inflict injury or sickness onto them because of the unnecessary treatment and medication the child is receiving. It is a mental illness that results in child abuse in order to receive pity and money from others, as well as fame and noteriety. Watching the retelling of this story play out is terrifying and fascinating. The real Gypsy Rose has been interviewed by individuals like Dr. Phil within the walls of Chillicothe Correctional Center, where she is staying for her 10-year sentence. His reasoning for conducting the interview is to get an accurate, but perhaps biased, recount of her dark childhood. Gypsy is happy to oblige in order to tell her side of the story and hopefully help people understand what the horrors of Munchhausen By Proxy are like. Both Joey King, who played Gypsy, and Patricia Artiquette, who played her mother, have been deservedly nominated in this year’s 71st Emmy Awards. Their acting is superb and the story will draw you in so quick, you’ll have to binge it.

Broadchurch

After watching the entirety of The Act in just a couple of days, I was wanting more slice-of-life meets drama. Thankfully, a friend recommended this Netflix show about a small British town that experiences an unexpected and jarring tragedy. After the murder of young Danny Latimer, the town’s resident detective pairs up with the controversial new guy to solve the case. Secrets are revealed in bite-sized pieces until the whole town’s dirty laundry is hanging on the line for all to see. I was never too scared to watch it at night because of the shows slow moving quality, somber feeling and muted color palette. It was even relaxing to watch before bed. However, it was plenty creepy enough for those who love murder mysteries. By the end, you will have questioned everyone living in the small coastal town, but I sure didn’t see the ending coming. 

The Bold Type

This Hulu Original makes me excited to be a journalist. It’s full of girl power, insanely fashionable outfits, beautiful NYC sites, dating drama, magazine-related catastrophes and a kick-butt girl group. The show centers around three women: Cat, Jane and Sutton, who have been friends for years, bail each other out of a lot of trouble, and navigate their way through complicated New York careers. At times, their problems could not be more relatable, and at other times, it’s a ridiculous Hollywood version of life. Either way, the attachment you feel to these characters is immediate. You’ll be cheering them on like you would a real life friend in no time. Also, if you desire a career in writing, fashion or social media, this show will make you even more excited for the future. 

Stranger Things

At this point, I think I speak for all of us when I say, “what the heck is wrong with Hawkins?” This little town just can’t seem to catch a break. It’s probably a safe bet to assume that at this point, anyone who was going to watch this show watched the whole season over July 4th weekend when it was dropped on Netflix. However, if you’re in the small minority of people who are missing out on this cinematic masterpiece, the easily-bingeable eight-hour season is waiting for you to watch it. The storylines keep growing and become increasingly complicated. The acting from this beloved cast is impeccable, and the costumes, sets and cinematography are gorgeous. The season left devoted fans wondering how the show could continue on, but we know the Duffer brothers always have something up their sleeve. After watching this season, Stranger Things fans are biting their nails in eager anticipation of whats to come next for their favorite Hawkins citizens. 

New Amsterdam

I’m usually not the type of person who can watch hospital dramas because I’m the girl who faints at the mention of blood, not just the sight of blood (though I get queasy from that too). Grey’s Anatomy is amazing, and I’ve seen quite a few episodes with my mom over the years. But when someone comes into the ER with a whole tree limb sticking out of their body, that’s when I tap out. Not to mention the amount of beloved characters Shonda has killed off over the years. However, it’s impossible to keep yourself from falling in love with New Amsterdam. The characters are flawed, but undeniably lovable. The stories are realistic, but always leave you with a warm heart and greater confidence that people are good. Max, the shows handsome protagonist, has a mission to remind doctors why they became doctors to begin with—to help people. 

The Great British Baking Show

Everyone agrees that cooking shows are entertaining, though you will never even attempt to make the pastries you watch being created on your screen. From my own experiences in London bakeries to what I’ve seen on this television show, British people like some different stuff. The majority of their pastries are filled with savory things like meat or nuts, and the fruits they use are unheard of here in the US. Despite all the new things you learn about British culture, it’s the kind of show you watch episode upon episode because it’s inexplicably relaxing. After a long day of school, extracurriculars and work the last thing you want to do is watch television that requires you to think too hard. Watching polite British people compete against each other over the flakiness of pastry dough is the best way to unwind. 

Superstore

This show is based on the crazy hijinx that take place in customer service jobs. Giant retail stores seem to have the craziest customers, and the jump cut edits in this show reveal the hilarity without taking away from the main plot at hand. America Ferrera is amazing as always, although there are no Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants vibes in this show. It might be fun if Blake Lively or Alexis Bledel guest starred though? This show has the easy humor of Parks and Recreation with some of the more adult humor of The Office. It’s easy to say “just one more episode.” You’ll love these characters, but you’ll also love that it’s the kind of show that you can turn on after a long day when your brain needs to rest. Go watch this show!

Happy binge-watching!

Senior at UGA & an aspiring writer. Entertainment and Media major. I love Jesus, my family, Harry Styles, cozy blankets and getting emotionally attached to tv and movie characters.