6 Ways to Eliminate Distractions While Studying

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Finals season is here and it’s time to hunker down and study. The temptation to engage in holiday activities with friends and family is seemingly endless as your resolve weakens with each passing day. The end is so close, we just have to get through a few more weeks and then it’ll be time for the holidays. If you put in the hard work now, you’ll be able to have a care-free, enjoyable break very soon. Here are some tips for when you’re studying for finals.

1. Put your phone away

Put your phone on silent, place it face down and put it across the room. Odds are, you’ll be too lazy to get up and check to see if you have any notifications. Putting it on silent is the most important part of this, as if it keeps going off, you’ll continually be more and more distracted and end up getting nothing done. 

2. Create a to-do list 

Making a list of everything that has to be accomplished is a great way to keep yourself focused. Once you start completing tasks, there’s nothing quite like the feeling of satisfaction that comes from checking boxes. This will also help to ensure that you don’t forget to study a certain topic or do a certain assignment. 

3. Know your study environment

If you know that you need silence to focus, it’s probably not the best idea to go to a public place to study. If you know that you can’t study in a dirty space, carve out time to clean your room so you won’t feel as though you’re procrastinating. 

4. Don’t freak yourself out

Freaking out about what grade you need to get on the final to get a certain grade in the class will do nothing but distract you and prevent you from studying. Make sure to take a deep breath every now and then and know that you are putting in the most effort possible. 

5. Make sure you are studying efficiently 

The phrase “work smart, not hard” applies here. Start by studying the topics you know the least while slowly working up to the areas you feel more confident in. If your professor gives you “hints” about what areas will be on the final, make sure you pay special attention to those while you’re studying. 

6. Don’t forget to let yourself have a little downtime

You don’t need to be studying every second of every day. After a certain point, none of the information you’re looking at will stick and you’ll be wasting your time. Allow yourself periodic breaks to refresh your mind and willpower. At the end of the day, your grades do not translate to your self-worth and happiness. 

The end is in sight! Pretty soon, we’ll all be chilling by the fire watching a Hallmark movie with hot chocolate in hand. 

Erin Gilmore is a Georgia native, born and raised in Forsyth County. Since 2015, she has been attending The University of Georgia. She is majoring in Risk Management and Insurance and Advertising. She loves to learn new things and go on adventures with her friends. In her free time, she likes to hang out with her dogs, read and travel.