6 Reasons We Loved The Charmed Series Premiere

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Charmed is a show about sisters who discover they have magical powers, and they realize they’re stronger together. It premiered on Sunday, Oct. 14 at 9/8c on The CW, and Her Campus UGA hosted a watch party for it! It wasn’t a slow-moving premiere—from the beginning it had you on the edge of your seat wanting to know what would happen next. Here are some of the reasons we loved the Charmed series premiere!

Sisterhood

The themes of sisterhood were prevalent throughout the first episode. Quickly after Mel and Maggie meet their half-sister, Macy, they interact with her as if she was always a part of their lives. It was sweet to watch sister dynamics play out on the show because even when they argued (like all sisters do), we knew that their sisterhood was stronger than anything else. The Charmed sisters really are stronger together!

Girl Power

These sisters didn’t let anyone put them down and stood up for what they believe in. All of the girls supported each other and other women. This is a female-centric show which we loved! After watching it, we felt the girl power confidence that the sisters did.

Magic

The Charmed sisters have the coolest magic! Mel can freeze time, Maggie has telepathy and Macy has telekinesis. It was so cool to watch the sisters discover that they are not only witches, but extremely powerful witches! The magic is definitely going to lead the sisters to some cool places this season (and we’ll be right there with them).

Queer Representation

This was such a nice touch to the series. Early on in the episode, we find out that Mel is romantically involved with a girl named Niko. Representation is so important, and we loved to watch the two women interact on screen. Also, it is adorable that Niko calms Mel down enough that she can do magic. Not to mention when they kiss, we swooned! They are so cute.

Diverse Cast

The Charmed sisters’ mom, Mariso, is Latina, and so are Mel and Maggie. Their half sister Macy is Afro-Latina. It was so nice to see such a diverse cast on the show because representation matters, and now there are girls out there who see awesome witches who look like them.

The combination of science and magic

Science and magic sometimes are thought of as opposites, but in this show Macy has a Ph.D. in molecular genetics. Macy uses her scientific knowledge hand-in-hand with her magic in order to solve problems, which shows viewers that it’s not one or the other.

Charmed new series Sundays 9/8c on The CW.

Caitlyn is a fourth year student at the University of Georgia. She is pursuing a double degree in journalism and women's studies with a new media certificate and an interdisciplinary writing certificate. She is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus UGA. Caitlyn spends her free time drinking tea, being a book worm, and imagining new fictional characters to write about.