This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

When you think of YA literature, books like Twilight by Stephanie Meyer and The Hunger Games by Suzzane Collins probably come to your mind. However, with the rise of BookTok and a GenZ generation of authors, YA literature gets more diverse by the minute. 2022 has been an amazing year of book releases, and here are the ones you should add to the top of your never-ending TBR stack!

1. The Sunbearer Trials by Aiden Thomas

Inspired by his Mexican heritage, Aiden Thomas’s 3rd novel is set in the rich world of Reino Del Sol. Pitched as Percy Jackson meets the Hunger Games, The Sunbearer Trials focuses on the teenager, Teo, the trans son of Quetzal. Every ten years, the sun god, Sol, needs his powers replenished, and hand picks ten semidioses to compete in a series of trials, from across the kingdom. The twist- whoever is in last place gets sacrificed to Sol. Described by Thomas as a troublemaker with a cause, Teo must fight for his survival and the lives of his friends and people. Don’t miss picking up this book- the first a duology- and what is guaranteed to be an incredible read!

Release Date: September 6, 2022

2. All My Rage by Sabaa Tahir

Just over a year after the stunning conclusion to An Ember In The Ashes, Tahir is back with a contemporary novel this time. All My Rage tells the story of Misbah, Sal, and Noor over the decades of their interconnected lives. Misbah, a dreamer from Lahore, Pakistan, comes to the United States with her husband from an arranged marriage, hoping for a new start. Sal and Noor are best friends and family in every way that counts. In quite a twist from her fantasy start, Tahir beautifully writes about the American Dream and human emotion. It’s a book you will be unable to put down. Be sure to look up any trigger warnings before picking this one up; it truly is an incredible story. 

Release Date: March 1, 2022

3. I Kissed Shara Wheeler by Casey McQuiston

In McQuiston’s YA debut, the New York Times Bestselling Author tells the story of Chloe Green, a high school senior. Her “rival,” Shara Wheeler, disappears on prom night, after leaving her with a kiss. Through Chloe’s journey to find Shara, she learns to understand herself and her friends better. This book feels like Paper Towns if it was written for a modern audience, and delivers everything I felt was missing in that book. It’s got the stamp of Casey’s trademark humor, along with a darker tone of mystery new to their writing. It is the perfect read that can be devoured in one day.

Release Date: May 3, 2022

4. Foul Lady Fortune by Chloe Gong

In a spin-off to Gong’s New York Times bestselling These Violent Delights duology, Foul Lady Fortune tells the story of our favorite characters, after the events of Our Violent Ends. In 1931, Rosalind, the cousin of Julliette Cai, finds herself an assassin for her country, now that she can no longer die. However, with the Japanese Imperial Army starting its invasion, and a string of murders in Shanghi, Rosalind finds herself posing as the wife of Orion Hong, another Nationalist spy. Again- Gong takes favorite romance tropes, sets them in the world of early 20th century Shanghai, and adds some violence to up the stakes. And of course, it wouldn’t be Chloe Gong, without the Shakespeare retelling. This one is based on “As You Like It.” With advanced reader reviews being promising, Foul Lady Fortune is a release of the fall you will NOT want to miss.

Release Date: September 27, 2022

5. A Scatter of Light by Malinda Lo

A companion novel to Lo’s bestselling Last Night at the Telegraph Club, this one focuses on Aria Tang West, sent to her grandmother’s in California after an incident at a graduation party. Set sixty years after Kath and Lily’s original story, the 2013 world exists alongside the first major Supreme Court decision on legalizing gay marriage. As Aria’s story unfolds, a parallel journey to Lily, sixty years in the future, can be seen. Glimpses into the future of Lily and Kath are revealed as Aria discovers who she is. Don’t miss A Scatter of Light, it promises all the feels with Lo’s beautiful writing.

Release Date: October 4, 2022

Hope these recommendations help your fall TBRs! Be sure to cuddle up with some tea, a cozy blanket, and a fuzzy sweater for the perfect fall-reading vibe. Enjoy :)

Medhini is a first year student at UGA, majoring in Cell Biology, on the premed track, and minoring in the Classics. She listens to Taylor Swift 24/7, and loves to read. Follow her bookstagram @storyofusmedsversion!