Wellness > Sex + Relationships

5 Ways Galentine’s Day is Better Than Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Galentine’s day is a day for all of us ladies to celebrate each other. The unoffical holiday was invented by our favorite Parks and Recreation character: Leslie Knope. She refers to this holiday as a day for “ladies to celebrate ladies.” Galentine’s day is better than Valentine’s day for a plethora of reasons, so we honestly can’t find a downside to this holiday!

1. There’s no pressure of expectations 

Galentine’s day is the stress free alternative to Valentine’s day. There are no social or relational expectations sitting over your head. Since there is no set way to celebrate this holiday, it’s completely up to you to come up with what the day means to you. 

2. You don’t have to stress about finding a gift for your significant other

Every Valentine’s day story shows the classic struggle of a girl trying to find the perfect gift for her S/O. For Galentine’s day, gifts are completely optional. You can save yourself the stress and agonizing search for the perfect gift. There will be no meltdowns in the mall this years! 

3. You can eat as much candy as you want 

Let’s face it, one of the best parts of Valentine’s day is the candy hearts and chocolate. You can for sure incorporate this into your Galentine’s day celebration. Your entire Galentine’s day celebration can consist of you laying in bed, eating candy hearts and binge watching your favorite television show. We can’t think of many ways to celebrate Galentine’s day than that. 

4. You get to spend time hanging out with your girlfriends 

Galentine’s day is all about cerebrating the lovely ladies in your life. Whether that means dressing up for a night out on the town or staying in and having a rom-com marathon, that’s completely up to you. 

5. You don’t have to have an S/O to celebrate 

Galentine’s day is a holiday that includes everyone. You don’t need to have a significant other to have a fun time with all your favorite friends. It’s the fun alternative to Valentine’s day! 

So go out there and celebrate being single and doing life with all your favorite friends. Happy Galentine’s day! 

Thumbnail image via unsplash 

Erin Gilmore is a Georgia native, born and raised in Forsyth County. Since 2015, she has been attending The University of Georgia. She is majoring in Risk Management and Insurance and Advertising. She loves to learn new things and go on adventures with her friends. In her free time, she likes to hang out with her dogs, read and travel.