diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Tips to Help You Travel Stress-Free

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Traveling can be so much fun; the rush of seeing new places can give you adrenaline leading up to the trip but sometimes traveling can cause unneeded stress. From packing to going through airport security to keeping track of all of the traveling information, it can make you feel extremely unorganized and unprepared. Whether you are going home for a break, going on vacation, traveling for business, or any other trip, here are some tips to make it as smooth as possible so you can sit back and relax right away.

Don’t Wait Until the Night Before to Prepare

In most cases, we know that we are traveling at least a week in advance. Why wait until the night before to start packing your suitcase or figure out how you are getting from Point A to Point B. This isn’t an English paper that you write the night before and get an A. You may think you will remember everything, but the chance of forgetting something important like your pajamas or toothbrush greatly increases when you don’t allow time to remember everything. What can also happen is you stay up late trying to get everything ready and the next morning you are extra tired and grumpy which will lead to more stress. As soon as you can, start planning, put some clothes aside, coordinate transportation, do whatever you can to lighten the load the night before traveling. You may not want to do it, but your future self will thank you.

Mix and Match Outfits

You don’t need to pack 8 outfits for a 2-day trip. All of the “what if’s” you are asking probably won’t happen. A general rule is to pack one outfit for everything you have to do and one spare outfit. You may be thinking, “I need options!” Don’t worry we got you covered! If you need options pack clothes that match with each other so you don’t have too many things. Lugging around a huge overpacked suitcase is an unnecessary burden. It also means you have more things to remember to bring back. Depending on what the occasion is you can pack basics like one or two pairs of jeans and a few shirts to mix and match. This saves time when you get to your destination because everything already matches. You can spend less time finding something to wear and more time enjoying your trip.

Ditch the Large Suitcase

If you go to the airport, it is easy to distinguish those who travel a lot from those who don’t. Frequent travelers are limiting themselves to under-seat luggage or a small carry-on suitcase. A  small suitcase has many benefits. First, you won’t overpack because there is only so much space to fit everything. To avoid overpacking don’t give yourself extra room. There are tons of YouTube videos of people packing clothes for a two-week trip in a carry-on. If they can fit everything, so can you! Second, carrying a small suitcase is cheaper than checking your luggage. Most airlines (except for Spirit) include a piece of carry-on luggage in the ticket price. Finally, having a carry-on suitcase limits the possibility of having your luggage loss which is a pain. Having a carry-on means you know where your luggage is at all times, no one is handling your bag roughly and you don’t have to wait at baggage claim. So much stress can be eliminated with carry-on luggage.

Wear Comfy Clothes with Removable Layers

Whether you are taking a plane, car, or train to reach your destination, layering is beneficial for the uncontrollable conditions as well as the ease of going through security. In a car, you can change your temperature settings but a plane and train are not as customizable. In the summertime, you can just add a light sweater on top of your tank that can be worn or packed in your carry-on or personal bag for easy access. You may think you will be cold, but if it ends up being hot and you are stuck in a thick sweater, you will be uncomfortable and grumpy. Also, if you are going to the airport, it is necessary to take off your jacket and shoes when going through TSA security. Having a jacket or sweater and shoes that you can easily remove are super helpful for getting through security quickly. 

Take Advantage of Your Mobile Device

Airlines have mobile apps to keep your boarding pass in an accessible form so you can skip the check-in kiosk at the airport. Hotel confirmations can be sent to your email and be easily accessible for check-in once you arrive. Event tickets can be stored on your phone to avoid having to print anything out. In this day and age, everyone has their phone in their pocket or purse at all times. Why worry about carrying around tickets? Save paper and time and utilize the features of your mobile device. Also, you can use your phone for a travel checklist and use it for last-minute reminders before heading out. Knowing everything is all in one place can alleviate the stress of trying to make sure everything is in the right place.

The more you travel, the more you will find your rhythm and will be a pro at traveling stress-free! Hopefully, these tips can help you feel more at peace when you travel! 

Brianna Mays is one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at UGA. She was born and raised in Gwinnett County, GA. She is a Terry Business Student majoring in Management: Human Resouces with a minor in Spanish and Fashion Merchandising.