5 Plants That Can Survive the Dorm Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

These hardy plants all require minimal effort and are nearly impossible to kill, which is perfect for the fast-paced college lifestyle.

1. Air Plants (Tillandsia)

Air plants are super trendy right now. They are all over Pinterest and Instragam and they’re actually super easy to keep alive. You only need to submerge them in water for 12 hours every week and a half. They only soak up as much water as they need, so it’s impossible to over water.

2. Succlents

There are so many types of succulents out there and they are all pretty cheap (most are under $5)! They don’t require much water, but they do need a lot of sunlight, so keep them near a window.

3. Cacti 

Cacti are the easiest plants to take of. So, you can guarantee that they won’t die while you’re busy enjoying college life. Just be sure that they are getting ample sun exposure

4. Aloe Vera

Aloe is so simple and easy to grow. The plant is a specific type of succulent, so it does need a lot of light and be careful not to over water. These plants also offer so many great health benefits. For instance, you can use the gel to soothe sunburns or as a natural face mask!

5. English Ivy (Hedera Helix)

This ivy is known for its natural air purification properties and thrives in the shade. It also grows quickly and requires regular waterings. So, English Ivy would be perfect for a dark corner of a dorm!

SaveSave

Sam is getting her degree in Film Studies at UGA. She hopes to continue writing entertainment reviews and comedy nonsense after graduation. She's always got a latte in hand and can be seen practicing handstands all around campus.