5 Easy Dorm Friendly Recipies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Living in a dorm room can lead collegiettes wanting the cooking department. A shared kitchen makes it hard for collegiettes on the go to prepare their own meals. Here are some of our favorite easy-to-make microwavable and delicious recipes. The best part is that both prep and cooking time last under 5 minutes. Whether you want a break from the dininghalls or you’re off the meal-plan and just need some new cooking ideas, these quick and simple recipes will give you want you crave.

S’mores

Need:

• Graham crackers
  • Jar of Nutella
  • Marshmallows (try Jet-Puffed Stackermallows – perfect shape for s’mores)

Directions:

Spread the Nutella on the graham cracker and add marshmallows. Then, stack the other cracker on top. Put it in the microwave on high for 15 seconds and enjoy!

[pagebreak]

Nachos

Need:

• Tortilla chips
  • Shredded cheddar cheese
  • Salsa
  • Microwavable rices

Directions:

Empty the chips into a plate or bowl. Then poke a few holes in the microwaveable rice and put it in the microwave on high for 2 minutes. Empty it on top of the chips. Add cheese and salsa to your liking.

[pagebreak]

Mini pizzas

Need:

• English muffins (as many as you plan on eating)
  • 1 small jar of pizza or tomato sauce
  • 8 ounces (1 package) of shredded mozzarella cheese
  • Pepperoni’s (optional)
Directions:
Pour sauce onto open faced muffins and add generous amounts of cheese. Add pepperoni’s if you want to. Bake in microwave for 2 minutes or until cheese is melted.

[pagebreak]

Chocolate mug cake
Need:

• 3 tablespoons of milk
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder
  • 3 tablespoons of sugar
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil
  • 3 tablespoons of chocolate chips
  • 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract
  • Pinch of salt
  • Add sugar if it’s not sweet enough for you

Directions:

Mix all of these ingredients together in an average sized microwave-safe mug and put it in themicrowave for 2 minutes. Keep in mind that if you want it softer and more moist, you shouldcook it for a few seconds less. It may seem like a lot of work, but it’s quick and you get adelicious personal chocolate cake out of it!

[pagebreak]

Cheese quesadillas
Need:
  • 1 whole-wheat tortilla
  • Shredded cheddar cheese
  • Salsa

Spread the cheese on top of the tortilla. Microwave for about 15 seconds. Then, fold the tortilla
in half and microwave for an additional 10-20 seconds. Serve with the salsa on the side. 

Note: All microwaves are different and you know yours better than anyone. Some are stronger than others, so keep that in mind while cooking.

Bon appetite!

Hi, I'm Sara and I'm short.