5 Black Influencers Who Have Made History This Decade

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

It is February, you know what that means—Black History Month! We can all agree that black people have been making amazing impacts throughout the years that have inspired many, as well as made society better. Even Google has made it clear in its recent commercial that black people are making waves, encouraging many to accomplish things that wouldn’t be possible just 20 years ago. We have just entered a new era of new minds and creatives that have been inspired by the history makers of the last decade and we can’t just move forward without acknowledging these incredible people that have shaped the minds and aspirations of millennials and Generation Z.  Here are five black people you should know that have made history these past ten years.

Kendrick Lamar

Rapper and hip-hop icon, Kendrick Lamar, released his fourth studio album D.A.M.N. This album became a strong voice for the black community, a voice we haven’t heard since Tupac. It spoke to the violent lived experience of black lives due to police brutality, racism, and the injustice of the prison systems; an album that needed to be heard during a time in which our government has divided us, a time in which racism is no more undercover but in the presidential office. Due to the literary genius of his lyrics and music he became the first rapper to be awarded a Pulitzer Prize in 2017.

Barack Obama / Michelle Obama

In 2008, Barack Obama became the first African American to take the presidential office. He then went on to serve a second term in 2012. Throughout his presidency he managed to pass health care reform in which he cut health care cost; he ended the war in Iraq in 2011; he was in charge of taking down infamous terrorist, Osama bin Laden; repealed “Don’t ask, Don’t Tell”; and helped with support and financial assistance for veterans.

Michelle Obama became the first African American first lady. During this time, she launched a health initiative called Let’s Move bringing leaders and educators together to address the issues of childhood obesity. She also launched the Reach Higher Initiative in which she made efforts to inspire young people to complete their education past high school.

Amy Sherald

Sherald is an American painter that is based in Maryland. Her works depict African American history through realism. She tells stories of the traditions of the black community and their efforts in history through her art. She recently became the first African American to be commissioned for the U.S first lady portrait to be placed in the Smithsonian.

Serena Williams

We all know Williams as one of the greatest tennis players in history! In 2002 Serena Williams was the first African American named year-end World Champion by the International Tennis Federation. In 2003 she became the first black woman to win a career grand slam and then later in 2009 she and her sister, Venus Williams, where the first African American double team to be named year-end Champion by the International Tennis Federation.  She also defeated her sister at the Australian Open and claimed the 23 Grand Slam singles title.

Jordan Peele

Peele created the most iconic and grown breaking horror/psychological thriller film in 2017 called Get Out. The film made a very real political statement on the racial tensions in this country through a genre that hasn’t had the strongest representation of African Americans. He went on to become the first African American to win best original screenplay in 2018 for Get Out. The following years he produced BlacKkKlansman which helped Spike Lee receive his first Oscar for best screenplay. He then went on and made one of the first horror films that was led by an African American family.  

This highlight is just a small part of the many contributions that African Americans have made in society. As a Generation Z African American, I am proud to have lived to witness some of the greatest creatives and handworkers that have paved ways in the fields of politics, sports, entertainment, etc. It’s inspiring to be able to see greatness and it reflect someone that looks or represents you and with that said, happy Black History Month!  

Hi! Im Bezawit! I was born in Ethiopia and I came to the U.S. when I was four. I am a current Intended Entertainment and Media Major. I love writing, talking about film and shows, and drawing! My favorite shows currently are Game of Thrones, Black-ish/Grown-ish, The Mindy Project, Modern Family, and anything Shonda Rhimes does. My favorite movie is a tie between Call Me By Your Name, and The Post. My hobbies include listening to music, insta- stalking ( we all do it so don't judge), and reading. My favorite book is Mom, Me, and Mom by Maya Angelou.