Life > Experiences

5 Activities to Try to Beat that Mid-Semester Burnout

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

We’ve made it to Thanksgiving break—but the semester is not over just yet! We can see the finish line but we understand it may be hard to stay motivated when finals start, so we wanted to provide you with a few activities that you can do to help take your mind off school and prevent that mid-semester burnout!

Learn how to Crochet

This activity is not only a stress-reliever but it is so easy once you get the hang of it! By working on it a little bit here and there you can have a finished product by the end of the semester. You can start small with a beanie, scarf, or pillow or if you are looking for a long-term project to work on even after the end of school, try a chunk knit/crochet blanket to keep you warm during the holidays! Depending on what you are making, you can learn a stitch and repeat it until you get your desired finished product. The simplicity makes this a great activity to distract you from school or even do in conjunction with something else such as listening to music or watching a tv show or movie. Try a half-double crochet stitch with size 6 super bulky yarn for a cozy blanket!

Challenge yourself to read a Book

When we are studying for finals and balancing normal lectures, it can be hard to find time to do the things we want to do. When was the last time you read for leisure? It’s probably been a while since academic reading has taken over. One way to make time for doing something enjoyable such as reading is to do it right before bed or after waking up. This not only helps relax your mind before sleep but can also start your day right. Normally we may reach for our phones or spend time scrolling social media until we fall asleep or have to get out of bed. Find a good book that you have been dying to read or ask your friends for recommendations and spend 15 mins either before bed or when you wake up to read a few pages in the book. By the end of the semester, you will have read more than you would have if you didn’t make this slight change. You might find a new favorite book in the process!

DIY a piece of decor for your Dorm/Apartment

With the holidays quickly approaching, you might be dying to get some decor up in your dorm room or apartment. Although retail therapy is relaxing, think about switching it up by DIYing some decor rather than buying it this season. DIYs don’t have to be super complicated or expensive. Starting small with a canvas or pillow can be an easy project to do to get your mind of classes and decorate your space at the same time. You can also DIY fun pieces of decor to give as gifts to your friends and family. They will love it even more because you took the time to make it for them! Lone Fox is a great YouTube Channel for DIY content including DIY gifts and decor!

Upcycle a piece of clothing from your closet

TikTok has been a place for inspiration as more people look towards recycling and restyling pieces they already own or pieces from thrift stores in place of buying fast fashion. If you are interested in new trends but aren’t sure if you like it or are ready to spend a lot of money on them, you can take older pieces you have a make a few changes to make them more “trendy” without breaking the bank. Tie-dye, bleaching, and cropping are easy ways to transform a piece without a sewing machine. If you learn how to crochet (see #1 above) you can make a cute cardigan, sweater or sweater to add to basics you own. Embroidery can be used to spice up a pair of jeans or even a sweatshirt. Take a big t-shirt, tie-dye, and crop it just to change it up. Your first try might not look the best or maybe it will inspire you to try it again and again! It’s a fun project to do for a break from classes and you just might love it! Check out these TikToks for fun ideas to transform your pieces!

Create a digital planner in Canva

This might not be everyone’s cup of tea but if you love to plan and get organized, this can be a great way to get creative and also get organized for the rest of the semester. The best part about Canva is that you can customize the dimensions and every piece of the design. While there are templates available, many of them are paid and it is way more fun to customize it to fit your design preference and your needs. Add a monthly calendar page for an overview of any important end-of-the-semester dates. This calendar can be created by adding a grid of squares with the days listed at the top. You have the ability to change the color and the font and the shape of each section. Take time to be creative and think of what will work best for you! Don’t forget to download the planner and use it to finish out the semester and go into the new year! If you want a little guidance and a few ideas, check out this tutorial!

We hope these ideas help you beat that mid-semester burnout and make it through the semester!

Brianna Mays is one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at UGA. She was born and raised in Gwinnett County, GA. She is a Terry Business Student majoring in Management: Human Resouces with a minor in Spanish and Fashion Merchandising.