3 Opinions I Have On the “He’s All That” Remake

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

(SPOILER WARNING!) If you aren’t aware, the He’s All That remake featuring notorious TikToker Addison Rae and recent budding star Tanner Buchanan has been taking the internet by storm. A modern twist on the original classic 90’s tale She’s All That, where a prom king places a bet on the school outcast, this 2021 remake switches the male-female role. It emphasizes the power of social media in our lives and how it affects popularity. This re-do may not have “Kiss Me” by Sixpence None the Richer fading out at the end of the film, but it did feature Tanner Buchanan riding into the school dance on a horse, which I think had everyone a little startled. Also, who else was waiting for Addison Rae to burst into a viral TikTok dance during this whole movie?

IT’s really not that bad

I’ve noticed that this remake has been experiencing a lot of heat on TikTok and other social media platforms. Sure, maybe the acting is a tad cringe, but it’s still overall a cute movie. In my opinion, Addison Rae’s acting skills are not a 10/10, but it’s still pretty decent. She fits the role she’s in well, and her bubbly personality is a good fit for this type of film. I can’t compare this remake to the original because it’s simply not in the same ballpark, but He’s All That did a good job creating a Gen-Z version of the original edgy 90’s flick. I’ll give it that. I can’t say I can give it “all that,” but it deserves some credit.

Madison Pettis GIF by NETFLIX - Find & Share on GIPHY
it doesn’t seem realistic

I don’t know—maybe someone out there can relate, but I surely can’t. If you are a famous influencer whose super-rich and popular boyfriend cheated on you while on live stream and you lost thousands of followers because you went berserk on said live, please let me know. I know that the purpose of this movie is to be fun and light-hearted. However, the original film was relatable to regular everyday high schoolers, making it ultimately one of my favorite chick flicks. This remake almost feels like a satire on Addison Rae’s real life as a TikToker because it’s just that blatantly unrelatable. Despite that, it’s still entertaining to watch.

Peyton Meyer GIF by NETFLIX - Find & Share on GIPHY
this movie made me feel something again

Sure, it’s not superb acting. However, it’s cute. It’s interesting. It gives us a look into life as a beauty guru star. This movie plays up every archetype a movie could have, but I ultimately think that’s what makes it hard to ignore. When the girliest, bubbliest, most pink girl links up with the edgiest, darkest, most blue guy—it’s a forbidden romance I can’t help but enjoy. The dynamic differences between the two and the cheesy montages made me feel something again, and I’m not afraid to admit it.

Gaze GIF by NETFLIX - Find & Share on GIPHY

Let me know what you think!

Caroline is a senior at the University of Georgia studying journalism and international affairs. One day, she aspires to be a copywriter, editor, or UX writer. She thoroughly enjoys writing, sushi, cats, coffee, and long walks to her refrigerator.