sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

13 Ways to Avoid Being #Basic This Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

When Fall comes around, girls can’t help but get excited for Halloween. Every year we pull out our best DIY tutus or shell out $70 on a costume from Party City that covers about as much skin as our bathing suits. But of course, Halloween wouldn’t be Halloween if we didn’t across at least one (read: a million) basic costume. So, this year, we wanted to provide you with 13 quick tips on how not to be #basic on the 31st.

1. Ditch the tutu unless you’re dressing up as the Black Swan or Misty Copeland.

2. Don’t dress up as Cinderella and Prince Charming with your significant other. (Or as any other prince/princess combo.)

3. Don’t dress up as a football player by wearing your school’s jersey and leggings.

4. Try watching a sci-fi or cult-classic Halloween movie instead of Halloweentown I, II, and III.

5. Try a really difficult/fun pattern for pumpkin carving instead of just a face.

6. Try recreating a costume from your childhood.

7. Don’t buy a full costume from a Halloween/costume store. Be creative!

8. Host a party with actual Halloween-themed treats and drinks instead of chips and beer.

9. Go to a live showing of Rocky Horror Picture Show.

10. Do the Monster Mash and The Time Warp.

11. Leave the animal costumes alone. It’s okay to be scary instead of cute/sexy.

12. Get into your costume! Have fun with cool/crazy makeup to really bring it together.

And last, but most definitely not least…

13. HAVE FUN WITH IT! Enjoy the night just like you did when you were a kid. In a few years, we’ll be too busy to participate in this night of make-believe and nightmares, so enjoy it while you can!