photo of corn field
photo of corn field
Aaron Burden/Unsplash

10 Things to be Thankful for this Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Thanksgiving is coming up and what better way to celebrate than with an attitude of gratitude! Here are ten things to be thankful for at UGA this Thanksgiving:

1. We’re collegiate comen! Sure classes may be tough and keeping those grades up can be a drag but we have the opportunity to go to college! So many girls our age in other parts of the world do not have this opportunity and some don’t even get to go to High School. As you study for upcoming finals, take a moment and be thankful for School!
  2. Food! For those of you on the meal plan, not only is our dining hall nationally ranked, but there’s five wonderful options to choose from! Even for those not on the meal plan and perhaps living on more modest nutritional means in all likelihood you are not starving and have food available to you. Here in the United States as we celebrate Thanksgiving dinner, let’s take a moment to be thankful for dinner and the abundance of food available to us. Not only are there homeless people out there without this access to food, there are those in other countries who do not even have a soup kitchen as an option.
  3. The UGA Campus! We have a big ol’ beautiful campus here to enjoy at UGA. There’s plenty of trees and greenery amongst the really cool looking architecture. We have pretty fountains to look at and cool sculptures too. Not to mention our prized Sanford Stadium and pretty rad workout facilities on East Campus. Next time you’re walking around campus take a moment to appreciate the awesome campus that we have here and be thankful. Not all schools look this good.
  4. The Classic City! Not only do we have one fabulous campus but our quaint city of Athens is also quite the blessing. We’ve got a fabulous music scene right down the road and there’s a plethora of great restaurants around. This fall, take some time to appreciate all that Athens has to offer and the many ways in which it serves the college community! Try a new restaurant or go to a show to demonstrate your appreciation.
  5. Buses! Let’s face it, no matter how much we may complain about taking them or squishing into them during rush hours, the bus system we’ve got going here is pretty spectacular. Time it right and you can get just about anywhere on campus, and even in Athens, without taking a car. Whether you have a car on campus or not, take a moment and appreciate all of the energy saved (both physically from not walking and in terms of gas) that occurs when you take the bus. And the new friends that you meet when you’re packed into the campuses buses like sardines.
  6. Friendly Staff! I don’t know about you but I have yet to meet anyone working here that wasn’t kind and helpful as they serve at UGA. From the people that serve through cooking and cleaning to the medical staff and teachers, be thankful for those that choose to come here everyday and meet the needs of the student body with their time and abilities! You can be thankful for their desire to help us out as we navigate the collegiate world. Show your appreciation this Thanksgiving time by taking a minute to thank them or write them a thank you card.
  7. Campus Opportunities! Going to a school as big as UGA means clubs and groups of nearly every kind. You have a chance here to get involved with whatever your heart desires (assuming it’s legal). This thanksgiving you can be thankful for this opportunity to explore new things or get involved with people that have the same passions as you do. This is a time in your life where you’ll be able to do this more than any other so celebrate by resolving to join something new in the upcoming semester.
  8. Sporting events! As a SEC school we have access to events with some of the best athletes in the country. Supporting the teams here can bring students together with team spirit in a way that little else does so regardless of how well our various teams have played this season, we can be thankful for the chance to cheer them on and watch their seasons play out. Go to a sporting event before the semester ends and appreciate the low-to-no pricing and great school spirit!
  9. We get to go to a big school! Though it may be intimidating to go to school with 38,000 others, it’s a great opportunity to meet lots of new friends! You probably have a better opportunity to meet lots of different friends here and now than you will at any other time in your life. You can be thankful for all the great friendships in your life this month and all the opportunities to make new ones! To appreciate this opportunity try branching and making a few new friends before the semester is out.
  10.  Freedom! Here at UGA in the United States we live in freedom. We have freedom to say and believe what we want to. Many other places globally do not have th
    is freedom. The next time you speak your mind be thankful that in classes here and in public here in America you can do that! As you’re thankful for this privilege this month speak up in class to show appreciation for the rights that we have here in America and the chance to learn while maintaining your own stance on issues.

As you celebrate this season and this Thanksgiving be thankful for all that you’ve been blessed with and pass on the attitude of gratitude to those around you!

Caroline is a first-year at the University of Georgia and is currently a pre-journalism major. She grew up in Istanbul, Turkey but also loves the city of Athens, Georgia. When she's not writing Caroline enjoys heart-to-hearts over coffee, spontaneous misadventures, dancing to whatever is on the radio, and posting on her own personal fashion blog. If you want to get to know her some more you can follow her on Twitter! @carolinerenee21
A student journalist at the University of Georgia, Brittini Ray has been writing for HCUGA since fall 2011. This past spring, she became the president of Her Campus UGA. Brittini also interns for zpolitics.com. She hopes to learn more about news and the journalsim industry.   Follow Brittini on Twitter