Your Guide to Gainesville’s Best Ice Cream Spots

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Going into my Freshman year at UF, I was nervous to adjust and fall into consistent routines similar to the ones I have at home. During the first week of school, I didn’t know what to do or where to go. However, now that I’ve had time to adjust to college life, I’ve begun to explore my surroundings and familiarize myself with many of Gainesville’s advantages. One of my favorite things to do is try the multitude of ice cream shops in Gainesville. On a sunny day, or after hours spent in the library, I enjoy relieving my stress by grabbing ice cream with some friends. Depending on my mood, I pick one of the many places that I love. With so many good options to choose from, I have limited my list down to my top five favorite ice cream shops.

When You’re Feeling Healthy: D’Lites

Although ice cream, and all of its toppings, can be viewed as unhealthy, D’Lites provides UF students with a healthier option. While still remaining tasteful, D’Lites’ flavors are both low-calorie and low-fat. More specifically, in one ounce of ice cream, there is only 12.5 calories. D’Lites intends to provide its customers with a healthy soft-serve option, and also provides other options for customers with allergies. You can even visit D’Lites’ website to play an interactive game and determine which ice cream flavor matches closest to your personality. Flavors are changed weekly, and there is a wide variety to choose from. Some of the unique flavors typically offered at D’Lites include yellow cake batter, blueberry cheesecake, thin mint cookie, cookie butter, and toasted coconut fudge.

When You’re in the Mood For Something Fruity: Hyppo

Located in Downtown Gainesville, Hyppo is the go-to place for fruity ice popsicles. Aside from providing customers with a wide variety of fruity flavors, Hyppo offers customers an option to dip their popsicles in chocolate. Some of the flavors offered at Hyppo include watermelon, blackberry, coconut and pineapple. Hyppo’s flavors are made from natural ingredients, utilizing fresh fruit. New flavors are constantly being made, and the flavors offered change seasonally.

When You Want the Picture-Perfect Ice Cream: FogBoxx

Fogboxx is a unique ice cream store because of its production of nitrogen ice cream. Nitrogen ice cream is a safe method of making ice cream, and ensures a creamier and richer taste. At Fogboxx, customers choose either an ice cream, yogurt or coconut milk base. Next customers choose their flavor, mix-ins, and a syrup syringe. The syrup syringe is placed inside the cup and can be drizzled throughout the ice cream. The combination of the syrup syringe and unique toppings form the perfect picture! Every time I visit Fogboxx, I find myself taking a picture of this visually appealing treat.

When You’re Looking For Something Different: Mr. Cool Ice Cream Roll

Located on University Avenue, Mr. Cool is different from ordinary shops in Gainesville because its ice cream is Thai rolled. More specifically, the ice cream is handmade and chopped into several different rolls. There is also a wide variety of mixers to top off your ice cream rolls. Aside from ice cream, Mr. Cool also sells Boba tea.

A trusted favorite: Yogurtology

Out of all of Gainesville’s many delicious ice cream places, Yogurtology is my personal go-to place. Located near Butler Plaza, Yogurtology offers a wide variety of flavors.  There are sweet, tart, and even vegan flavors. Although the flavors are top-notch, my favorite part of Yogurtology is the unique toppings it has to offer. Aside from conventional and chopped up toppings that you can find at most ice cream shops, Yogurtology offers whole Kit Kats, Twix, brownies, and cookies. When styling your yogurt at Yogurtology, you have the option to add a bottoming or a base, including brownies and waffles.

Taste-testing these ice cream spots in Gainesville has definitely made my overall experience at UF sweeter. Honestly, ice cream makes everything better — especially in college.

Jolie Freedman is a Sophomore at the University of Florida and is from Melville, New York. Jolie is working towards achieving a Bachelor of Arts in journalism with an outside concentration in marketing. Jolie has a passion for storytelling and digital media, and she places a heavy emphasis on the importance of social media. Jolie is also a campus trendsetter for Her Campus Media and an ambassador for the College of Journalism and Communications. Aside from her journalistic involvement, Jolie enjoys skiing and art. Jolie's inspiration to join the Her Campus community stems from her involvement as the Print Manager and Staff Writer/Editor for her high school's newspaper.
Darcy Schild is a University of Florida junior majoring in journalism. She's the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus UFL and was previously a Her Campus national section editor. She spent Summer 2017 as an Editorial Intern at HC headquarters in Boston, where she oversaw the "How She Got There" section and wrote and edited feature articles and news blogs. She also helped create the weekly Her Campus Instagram Story series, Informed AF. Follow her on Twitter and on her blog, The Darcy Diaries.