Wellness > Mental Health

Why You Shouldn’t Be Afraid to Celebrate Yourself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

College can be very fast-paced sometimes. Between juggling classes and extracurriculars, it can be difficult to find the time to reflect on the things we have accomplished. I sometimes even find myself struggling to accept my accomplishments and give myself credit for the things that I’m doing.

It comes from an internal fear that I am not good enough to even be doing the things that I’m doing. I see other people taking on ten different projects and 50 different extracurriculars while seemingly leading a healthy and balanced life.

I feel inadequate that I am not doing as much as other people. It’s a mix of Imposter Syndrome and my own insecurities; however, I have come to realize that I should not be afraid to celebrate myself or my accomplishments. Comparing myself to others and their successes benefits no one involved.

It doesn’t matter if you are taking on multiple different extracurriculars or just one, we all do things that are worth celebrating. Give yourself credit, even if it is just for the little things.

At some point in our lives, we have all accomplished something special. We have taken part in something that reaped rewards and made us feel good about ourselves. Whether it was passing a class or starting a business, we have all done something that has been significant to our lives.

Your definition of what success is does not have to align with what other people think success is, so celebrate your own victories, no matter the size.

Being proud of yourself can be tough. As women, it can feel like the whole world is against us. It can feel like the world does not want us to succeed. This is easy to see in recent news about women in politics: Society always wants to find a way to bring women down.

Something that helps me is recognizing that we are all on different paths. When you understand that success looks different for everyone, it is easier to be proud of your own accomplishments.

Surround yourself with good people that remind you of how hard you’re working and how amazing the things you’re doing really are. Support from yourself is important, but so is support from others. Some people defer attention away from themselves when they are recognized for their achievements; let other people celebrate you. 

We always want to strive for more yet fail to look back on what goals we’ve achieved and what milestones we’ve reached. As 2019 progresses, take some time to reflect on the things that you’ve already achieved. 

Having confidence in yourself and your work draws others towards you and commands a level of respect. Next time you want to downplay your accomplishments, remember that everyone has done something to be celebrated. Don’t sell yourself short.

It can be very easy to get caught up in what you are not, but remember to shift the focus on everything that you already are. Sure, you may want to be the best of the best, but take note about how much you already are.

We should all spend a little more time celebrating ourselves, our friends, family and peers, too. Celebrating yourself is going to make you happier and help you feel more fulfilled, and that’s something we should all strive for.