Style > Beauty

Why You Should Use Cruelty-Free Products (Feat. Conscious Brands to Explore)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

With veganism being the newest health trend, it only makes sense that a push for cruelty-free products is also popular. Cruelty-free products are an environmentally friendly, just as good alternative to your favorite makeup items. This push started a few years ago, and fortunately for animals everywhere, it has continued on. Popular brands like NYX, Kat Von D Beauty, LUSH and Tarte Cosmetics have all prided themselves on going cruelty-free and green. In my opinion, everyone should go cruelty-free, and here’s why.

1. An animal’s life is not worth your winged eyeliner

Animal abuse in any aspect is not okay, and neither is testing on animals. It is outdated, cruel and inhumane. There is no purpose to testing on animals for anything, but especially not for something purely cosmetic like, well, cosmetics. I mean, it makes sense that animals would react differently to different substances than humans would, so it makes me wonder why we’re putting dangerous chemicals on innocent bunnies and monkeys. Animals that are used as test subjects for mascara, eyeliner, blush and more live miserable and painful lives. The products that do work might not necessarily harm the animals, but the hundreds of other test trials may cause some serious damage, or in extreme cases, death.

Most animals used in laboratory testing are cats and dogs. Beagles are the most common breed of dog used because of their naturally calm personalities. As for specifically cosmetic testing, rabbits are quite commonly used. According to Humane Society International, about 100,000 to 200,000 animals die each year from cosmetic testing. Again, your perfect look is not worth killing a precious animal over.

2. Cruelty-free is better for the environment

Most companies that are cruelty-free are also big advocates for environmental change. Companies like LUSH often launch PR campaigns that promote greener lifestyles. A lot of CF products are also more sustainable than those that are non-CF. Most of the products use fewer chemicals and more natural ingredients than their counterparts. A company that helps the animals of the environment more than likely helps the environment as well.

3. You don’t have to change the rest of your lifestyle

I don’t think I could ever go vegan or vegetarian, sadly. I get mad at myself for not being able to do it, but I just can’t. I tried going pescatarian once, I tried cutting out red meat another time, and though that made me feel better, I figured having my makeup be cruelty-free is a way to ease my conscious. If you are looking for a more simple way to help than changing your diet, going cruelty-free is definitely for you.

Here are a few brands to explore if you’re interested in incorporating more conscious products into your routines.

NYX is my go-to for everything. All my makeup comes from them. I’m like a walking advertisement, and I am more than okay with that. Another favorite of mine is LUSH for their non-makeup items. Of course, their famous bath bombs come to mind, but their shampoo bars are environmentally-friendly and just as great! Any lotion or face care stuff that I use comes from The Body Shop. Their tea tree oil infused products are the absolute best for zapping zits and clearing up your skin. I am biased, but I swear by these brands!

Going green has never looked this good!

Do you have cruelty-free products or brands you swear by? Let us know at @HerCampusUFL on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

Christina Pugliese is a sophomore majoring in telecommunications and history with a minor in women's studies at the University of Florida. She loves traveling and learning, so it didn't surprise anyone that she wanted to be an investigative reporter. She has told stories from many different cities, and she wants to tell more! This planet has so many unique experiences to offer, and she needs to experience them all. When she is not traveling, you can find her volunteering, shopping, writing, discussing politics, or planning her next trip.